***Hen Becoming Lethargic In Cold Weather!!!***

Hey there,

Thanks again to everyone responding to my concern over Betty. I called the Avian Med Center, who recommended I bring her inside for the night and take her in, in the morning. I was on the fence about taking her in. She wasn't getting any worse, but not better either. Not only that, the vet is an hour away and can be spendy. (not that I mind spending money on my pets- I call them "my little investments"). However, I am soooooo glad I did. Found out that she has a raging kidney infection and is loaded with roundworms! They gave her an antibiotic injection (Baytril) and a dose of Ivermectine. They also sent me home with more antibiotics and another worm dose. Poor Betty!! I'm just happy I didn't wait any longer, she probably wouldn't of survived. Hopefully she pulls through! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again to everyone who gave their input!

Last edited:
The doctor said the kidney infection was probably brought on when the freezing weather started. Alot of the times, when temps drop, chickens' water intake can decrease, either by the water being frozen (not in this case) or the chicken just not wanting to drink the very cold water. This keeps the kidneys from performing correctly. Who knows. but if something weird is going to happen to an animal, it usually happens to mine.
smile.png

The doctor said the kidney infection was probably brought on when the freezing weather started. Alot of the times, when temps drop, chickens' water intake can decrease, either by the water being frozen (not in this case) or the chicken just not wanting to drink the very cold water. This keeps the kidneys from performing correctly. Who knows. But if something weird is going to happen to an animal, it usually happens to mine.
smile.png

The doctor said the kidney infection was probably brought on when the freezing weather started. Alot of the times, when temps drop, chickens' water intake can decrease, either by the water being frozen (not in this case) or the chicken just not wanting to drink the very cold water. This keeps the kidneys from performing correctly. Who knows. but if something weird is going to happen to an animal, it usually happens to mine.
smile.png

Yomama, one thing I do to help the girls get more liquids is I warm up some nibblet corn with the juice or added water. They eat the sopping wet kernels and then drink the juice left in the trough. The liquid is slightly warm so it goes down easy and warms them a bit.

Last edited:
Yes, corn is high calorie/carb and gives them extra calories Feel her weight. If her keel bone sticks way out she may need more food. Thin is common in molting chickens. You may want to give vitamins and make sure they are worm and lice/mite free. I get mine to really chow down on feed and warm water for mush.

I'm not sure why, I recently had a chicken die in my egg box, And a day after, the other 13 I have are tired and cold, They will not go outside, but still have an appitiet. Why are they doing this?

Back
Top Bottom