1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HEN BEHAVIING BADLY

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickypets, Feb 19, 2012.

1. chickypets

chickypets Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    HI
    I have three hens. One original White sussex hen which raised two barnevelder chicks. One of the chicks has always been my daughters favourite and was handled a lot from when it was tiny. The other Chick and Mother Hen are very placid. The Sussex likes pats and will eat out of your hand, the other chick is a little flightly but both are very cruisey and placid.
    The chick that got a lot of attention is now acting in a strange way towards me. The chicks are now 20 weeks and one has started laying.

When I let them all out of the henhouse this "chick" comes over and pecks at my feet/shoes and pants (not in an inquisitive manner - in a violent way) If I pick her up she is ok but if I try to give her a pat she attacks - drawing blood sometimes. None of the hens are particularly interested in my mothers small dog when it visits. But yesterday this 'chick' ran across the length of the lawn to bail up the dog.

Is this normal behaviour for a hen?? I am a bit worried about her, and dont know how to deal with this behaviour as mmy other hens are so placid.

thank you

2. Arret

Arret Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Pacific Rain Forest
    Is she mean to the other hens?

3. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    Is it definitely a hen? My cockeral did exactly those things!

4. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    I have to say, my little frizzle roo is the same way too. He was handled a lot when he was a chick. Now when I go out there, he's the first one to the door of the run, and pecks at my shoes, grabs my pants, and follows me around everywhere. I can't walk right, because he's in between my feet. When I sit down, he's right there, in between my feet, occasionally pecking at my shoes, grabbing my pants. He just stands there with me when I'm outside, almost like I'm HIS. It's almost like he's guarding me. Sounds silly, but he won't budge unless I do. He has drawn blood once or twice when he's grabbed onto my ankle. He's definitely a little ankle biter! I've never had any of my girls act like this. I've got 2 Roosters. My EE Roo wasn't handled as much so he keeps a fair distance from me, and isn't mean in the least. He actually guards the girls, while the little roo guards me, lol.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have a Cochin hen like this. She was my daughters favorite and was held alot too. She's always making a racket, and will grab my pants leg (and sometimes my leg) and hold on. If I try to pet her she will grab onto my hand. I've started pushing her to the ground and holding her there like I do my naughty cockerels. Sometimes I even "peck" her with my fingers. It works, she'll avoid me for a couple of days. I've only had to reinforce it once. I don't think she respects me, so I need to show her I'm higher in the pecking order than she is. Its been two days since she has bitten me, so fingers crossed she gets the message. This behavior had just recently started, she's almost 11 months old and still not laying. So I'm *hoping* this means she'll give me an egg soon! Good luck!

6. chickypets

chickypets Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Hi Thank you all for your posts. She is 20 weeks old and definitely looks like a hen, I'll have to try to see which one is laying then I'll know for sure. I am 99% sure that she is a pullet.
    I had a feeling it may have been a dominance (pecking order) behaviour. The other hen (chick) follows mummy hen around is always with her seems to do everything she says, my daughters fav hen (chick) is more confident - ventures across the other side of lawn, does her own thing a bit more. I have never seen fav hen peck other hens. She does have normal shows of dominance with other chick - puffed up head etc. Its good to know that she is not crazy - maybe a bit misdirected. I will try to gain respect too. Luckily she has always been good and gentle with my daughter never showed any aggression - even though acting badly to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by