hen behavior?

Cavendish Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Summit County, Ohio
We have two leghorn hens. One white, one light brown. I've been noticing for the past few days that they will charge at each other, stop, stand as tall as they can at each other, then stop and act like nothing happened. Sitting side by side, eating together, perching together. What are they doing? Deciding their pecking order? This is our first time raising chickens, so we're not sure of their behaviors.

Another question I have is about building them a nest box. I already plan to make it big, and obviously attached to the coop. But what is the best material to use?

My girls did that every morning for a while, then I think they got tired of it. It may be pecking order, or it may just be playing. Whatever it is, it's normal.

I use shavings in my nest box because that is what I have. Make sure your nest boxes are lower than your roost.
smile.png

Oh. Okay. That kind of makes sense. I wonder why they do it so much. It's off and on throughout the day. Guess they're just bored. lol Need more things to stimulate them and keep them happy. For now we just have a plastic chair and a somewhat good sized rock. Hmm... would a mirror be a bad idea? lol The roo may not like it much, huh? lol Oh well. Any tips for fun stuff to give them?

my girls can amuse themselves for an entire day with a clump of grass with roots and dirt attached. Best if it is soft grass, dandelions and/or clover as the greens. They scratch for bugs, strip the greens bare and just generally play King of the Hill with it.
Lasts all day and is a healthy snack!

Bright Blessings

Yup, chickens at play.

Another fun thing to set up for them is Tether Cabbage!

Use an apple corer to make a hole all the way through the cabbage head, run some polycord through it, tie it up so it hangs off the ground just above the height of their backs, and let 'em at it.
41679_lacypractice.jpg

41679_first_hits.jpg

41679_minerva-tethercabbage.jpg

Even the rooster gets in on it.
41679_carlfirstpeck.jpg

And what is left after a day of play and nibbles.
41679_cabbageallgone.jpg

Back
Top Bottom