Hen biting my hand

If you are hand feeding, try throwing treats on the ground instead, as you call them. Keep your hands untouchable!
She's being rude, and you need to fix it soonest. If you can, peck her back immediately, fast, several times. Hard enough to be offensive but not cause harm. Or, push her away firmly, again, not to injure, but to make your point.
You should not be a flock member to be pushed around, you are the giant who brings food. It's easy with your first birds to try to make friends, but these are chickens, and won't react as you expect every time. She should respect your space, and enter it by invitation only, and never be so rude.
If you watch them, a subordinate bird never pecks a bird higher in the pecking order, it's just not done in normal interactions.
Mary
Great info and I will try that next time and let her know I am not one of the other hens she can pick on. I will do the peck back to her and see if this helps. She was nice and sweet till she matured and now think she is the boss over me and the other hens.

I've got a pullet that started doing this recently. When she comes around to say hi, and I dont have treats, she pecks my pants or shirt HARD. I've started pecking her back on the head till she submits and its tapered off quite a bit. She is the lowest in the pecking order too, so I'm not sure what shes thinking...

You dont bite the hand that feeds you....

Or the pant leg or shirt that belongs to the hand that feeds you:lau

Lol I do not want to mate with her.That maybe it she has also jumped on my back a few times when I was squatting down to pet the other hens.
My post there was in responce to another poster ;)

Do not let birds jump on you uninvited, another 'rude' thing.
When they do react immediately to knock them off.
They don't want to mate you, they just like to get up higher,
but you are not a perch.

My post there was in responce to another poster ;)

Do not let birds jump on you uninvited, another 'rude' thing.
When they do react immediately to knock them off.
They don't want to mate you, they just like to get up higher,
but you are not a perch.
Sounds like a good plan. I will do that also.

Thanks for that info. I give that a try. She is not just peck it is pinch and hold. Has broke skin on back of my hand.
This happened to me just this morning! At 10 weeks old these girls are strong, so it does break the skin and I’m glad you posted it so I can also try the good advice found here! Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom