Hen Blind(?) after Raccoon Attack

Gossie

Chirping
Jun 14, 2015
There has recently been a series of raccoon attacks at my coop. We've finally (hopefully) got it under control, but the raccoons left 6 chickens dead and 1 injured. The injured hen was Sunny, a 1 year old Red Sex Link. She was scratched on the neck (which I believe is healing ok) and something happened to her eye. It was crusted shut when I found her, and finally opened today. The eye underneath looks unnaturally red and clouded. I will try and post a picture of it tomorrow. She's acting like a natural chicken, scratching around and eating bugs. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her eye?

Thanks!

There has recently been a series of raccoon attacks at my coop. We've finally (hopefully) got it under control, but the raccoons left 6 chickens dead and 1 injured. The injured hen was Sunny, a 1 year old Red Sex Link. She was scratched on the neck (which I believe is healing ok) and something happened to her eye. It was crusted shut when I found her, and finally opened today. The eye underneath looks unnaturally red and clouded. I will try and post a picture of it tomorrow. She's acting like a natural chicken, scratching around and eating bugs. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her
Hopefully she will make a full recovery. If not she will go through life a "Blinker" meaning a hen or rooster who is blind in one eye. Chickens are amazingly adaptable so Sunny will likely adapt as well.

Back
Top Bottom