hen breed 2 ??

bevschicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014

This is Mary :) She lays brown eggs (not cream or chocolate brown but they are dark brown). She has a beard and muffs. She is the sweetest hen. Any idea what breed she may be?

I'd guess a barnyard mix. Judging by the muff/beard, she could very well be an Easter Egger. However, true Easter Eggers lay colorful eggs.

Last edited:
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what exactly is a barnyard mix? I'm new to all of this :)

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what exactly is a barnyard mix? I'm new to all of this
smile.png

A barnyard mix is just a random mix of different breeds, usually common ones. They don't have any particular characteristics of any breed, and it can be hard to determine exactly what breed went into them (as they can be mixes of mixes).

Last edited:
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what exactly is a barnyard mix? I'm new to all of this
smile.png
A barnyard mix is basically a random mixed breed chicken, such as would come from an unsupervised farm (barnyard) flock. Barnyard mixes can be produced accidentally when no care is taken to breed certain birds together, or on purpose to create a beautiful mixture of breeds. They may look nothing like their parents, or look almost identical. You never know what the offspring of a barnyard mix will look like.

Last edited:

The egg on the left is what my Mary laid today. It was speckled with brown spots all over the egg. This is the first time that the whole egg was speckled. Only 2 other times has her eggs had just a few speckles. Does this also help in determining her breed? Is it possible that she is a cross between a Welsummer and Easter Egger? Or...not ...haha :)

Back
Top Bottom