hen cannot balance

Have they molted this season? I have 4 that look pretty ragged and it is mainly their flight feathers and they are doing a small molt not the big one like they usually do. I am wondering with mine if it's age 12 and 11. Did you check them for parasites?
Meloxidyl [Meloxicam]seems to be the anti-inflammatory used most in poultry.
I'm sorry after 165.00 you really didn't get any answers. Have you tried giving extra niacin?

Last edited:
No idea other than that is quite cold and windy here (with no snow to block the wind) and she was not able to move around much. Her pals did not stay with her much of the time, so she probably just froze. Yes...VERY sad! She's in my living room wrapped in a towel and she does not look dead. I have to figure out how to bury her tomorrow in frozen ground!

If she was healthy she would probably wouldn't have had any trouble but something was def wrong, It's so sad when we have no answers.
When my gander died in Feb of 2021 The ground was frozen and our freezer was full so after much discussion my DH carried him up into the woods I hated it so bad but we hadn't any choice There isn't a whole lot we can do when the ground is frozen.

I disagree. She was the healthiest of my ducks from the day I brought her home. Also the cleanest (she loved water in the tub) and she (like the others ate the best food in could find, including a cup of organic peas EVERY day along with organic nutritional yeast on every cup of organic pellets, along with lots of other food supplements. I believe that food is the best supplement and practice that for my ducks, as I do for myself. As I said, I saw her fall off the shelf in the coop, as she seemed unable to navigate the ramp coming down. I still think she most likely fell on her head but will never be 100% sure of that, as I didn't actually witness that fall. No matter how healthy a duck is, if they fall on their head or get some other significant injury, there is no amount of nutrition that can guarantee a cure. Additionally I observed her shaking her head after a few steps since this began a week ago.
I like your idea of taking her into the woods but will not do it anywhere near my house, as I don't want to attract predators into my yard to attack my others. I may try to find a big toy boat and put her to out into a brook with a good flow, as she was my water lover and I loved her for that!

What I meant was becasue of the problems she was having now from whatever it was. Nothing to do with when you first brought her home. Sorry I didn't explain it better. Since she may have fallen and injured herself that is what I was referring to.

Sorry to be "touchy". I'm just pretty sad and a bit angry with the vet, as I took her to him for his help and he offered close to nothing and certainly nothing that helped save her!

Back
Top Bottom