Hen cannot stand *****PICS**** UPDATED...passed away :(

I have a rooster acting the same way. I have him back in the old brooder box so the other chickens won't attack him.

He's still eating and drinking and pooping. He seemed at his worst over the weekend now he might be getting a little better. We are giving him till Friday. If he's not made a large improvement, then he's getting culled.

is she not able to swallow?
or just no appetite?

if she is able to swallow, you could try Poly-vi-sol..Enfamil brand if possible..no iron..2-3 drops on beak once a day for a week, then taper off for another week.
if she is able to swallow you can make up a mix of:
I day's amount, divide into 3 feeds for the day..give for 5 days.
1 cooked egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon honey or applesauce
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
3-4 tablespoons water softened oatmeal.

I don't think Tylan would be of any use with this poor hen..sorry, but Tylan is good to have around for possible future use...keep refrigerated if it's the injectable, and in a dark dry place if powder.

it's possible she has Botulism..
but if paralysis is spreading..it could be Mereks..as dlhunicorn posted..one leg in front..and 1 leg back is a classic symptom of Mereks.
do her eyes have a gray cast?
info about Mereks:

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1183

here is some info about Botulism:

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1212

Last edited:
amarook..do you have a thread? if not start one..if the roo is eating and drinking, he might have something that can be easily treated.
post a thread and list all symptoms..description of droppings..color and consistency..
all other symptoms.
what all you feed.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the helpful advice and kind words.

My little RIR Maggie passed away late last night... just too much for her little body. I'm pretty sure it was Marek's...

if my other chickens have been infected how long will it be before I see any symptoms. I am just wondering when I am in the clear... I would feel so horrible if I lost all my girls. I know I should not bring any new chicks or chickens into the mix...so if I can keep my other 4 healthy then that's all I need.

Thanks again!

if mareks then all have been exposed... there are several strains (it is an oncological virus) >>> you might call your extension to see if their is a particularly virulent strain noted in your area or such (if so they might advise you to vaccinate or to buy vaccinated birds in the future)... you really should have sent the body in for a necropsy to confirm and or rule out anything else it might have been... mareks is not the only oncological virus.
I suppose if it were me and I suspected mareks I would consider moving their coop and run to a different area (if I had the room).
(((hugs))) sorry you lost her.

Back
Top Bottom