hen can't open her eyes

bckyrdchknluvr

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
I let my two hens out today and my Ameraucana can't open her eyes all the way. Any idea what might have caused this or how to help her?

Last edited:
Could possibly be something like mycoplasma, aka an upper respiratory infection in birds. She might need some antibiotics to fight it. Are her eyes or nose draining any fluid? Are her eyes swollen underneath? Tylan is the best medicine for mycoplasma, but I can't guarantee that's what she has.

She opened her eyes fully about 20 mins after I let them out yesterday, and ate and drank fine all day, but she is a little lethargic and my banty was kind of picking on her, maybe she senses weakness?

Could possibly be something like mycoplasma, aka an upper respiratory infection in birds. She has been sneezing a few times a day for a few days now. She might need some antibiotics to fight it. Are her eyes or nose draining any fluid? Nope. Are her eyes swollen underneath? They look normal.Tylan is the best medicine for mycoplasma, but I can't guarantee that's what she has.
Thank you very much. I put both of my girls on antibiotics yesterday.

Well, they have been on antibiotics fore 4 days now and Rose is back to her old self... AND laying eggs again every day, YAY.

Back
Top Bottom