hen can't stand up moving head up and down

myfarm30

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 16, 2015
I went out to close up the coop tonight and found one of the hens laying on her side and her head moving up and down kind of like she was pecking. We got two hens (the only ones) about three weeks ago. The one that is sick is 8 months old. I am wondering what it could be. I did notice last week that she was having trouble getting up on the roost (it is 18 inches off the floor). So I put a step to help her out. However she still liked to try to fly up there. One time I was closing up the coop and I heard a big thump she evidently flew into something while trying. She seemed fine after that so I am Not sure if it might be head trauma or something else. I did check for egg binding since they haven't layed eggs at our place yet but didn't feel an egg stuck. For now I moved her into the garage into a tub. I tried putting water and some food down but doesn't seem to want it.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Easter Egger , 8 months old not sure of weight but small
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Can't get up and head moving up and down like pecking. She doesn't seem to be breathing heavily. If I pick her up she does move her legs a bit.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? she was fine this moring
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. see above maybe head trauma
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I am not sure only really check on them twice a day but water and food are gone. Eating layer feed and water nothing else
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Some poop was stuck on her butt wiped it off wasn't much
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? checked for stuck egg didn't feel anything
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? seeing how she is tomorrow morning
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use coop with pine shavings

UPDATE:
sad.png
I just went out to look at her again. She died. Do I need to be worry about a contiguous disease is there a way to test? I have three new chicks that are in the garage of course not in same area as the sick/dead hen and one other hen out in the coop who was with the sick hen. Do I need to be worry about the other hen being alone until the new chicks are ready to be moved out to coop (they are only a week old). The other hen has shown no signs of sickness and I know is eating and drinking because while I was out at the coop tonight she was eating and drinking and was happily sitting on the roost when I left.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom