Hen can't walk, never drink nor eat, but looking around her

I give :
Vitavil aminé (don't know if it is sold in US) for vitamins and amine acids
and
Biocalphos for calcium, magnesium
I know time is of the essence, can you get her poo sample examined by a veterinarian?
Her symptoms sound similar to this:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/dise...um-pullorum-disease-bacillary-white-diarrhoea
And she needs antibiotics if that is what it is...

I also wonder about coccidiosis. So a vet to check a poo sample would be the fastest way to get it figured out.

Last edited:
She has not been vaccinated.
I feed standard poultry mix.
She has been sick for 3 weeks.
Her eyes are now clear.
3 weeks ago, she kept an eye half closed,
No other chicken has the same paralysis as her
Her poo is liquid with little black or green grains, sometimes it's only black liquid
6 months old
Being sick for 3 weeks and paralyzed, age and eye being 1/2 closed - Marek's disease comes to mind.
You can give 1/4 tablet B-Complex or make sure the vitamins you are giving her contain B2 (Riboflavin), B1 (Thiamine) and see if that makes a difference.
Unfortunately there is no cure for Marek's, but with supportive care sometimes they can recover and be able to have a fairly normal life.

Do you know if she has come into lay yet? Have you felt for an egg?
I do agree, getting a fecal float performed by your vet is a good idea - have them check for Coccidiosis and worms which may be exacerbating her problems.

First thing I did was de-worming her, hoping she would get up. Unfortunately no.

Coccidiosis ? there has never been blood in her poo, so I didn't think of it.

She stopped laying 4 days after she stopped standing.

My vitamins contain B1 B2 but I don't know which dose compared to "B-Complex" : which brand do you use (there are many references, for humans or for poultry ?)

First thing I did was de-worming her, hoping she would get up. Unfortunately no.

Coccidiosis ? there has never been blood in her poo, so I didn't think of it.

She stopped laying 4 days after she stopped standing.

My vitamins contain B1 B2 but I don't know which dose compared to "B-Complex" : which brand do you use (there are many references, for humans or for poultry ?)
My chickens had coccidiosis and there was no signs of blood, but her poo was runny.

Well, I think my hen won't recover,
1 month of feeding her in the beak,
she's now laying on her side,
and when I try to get her straight,
she has her left leg pointed forward,
it reminds me of all those pictures of Marek disease.

the only difference is that she still look interested by what goes around.
BUT if I don't feed her, she lets herself die.

is it the first stage of Marek ?

Did someone ever have this situation ? What should I do ?

Unfortunately it does sound like possible Mareks disease. There is no cure. If she would continue to eat normally, there might be a chance that she could recover if it is an injury or infection. I had a Mareks vaccinated hen who went lame and had imbalance for 5 weeks who recovered. I would try to find a poultry lab or vet that you could get to perform a necropsy (autopsy) if she dies. They could look for Mareks tumors in her organs and on her sciatic nerves. Sorry about your pullet.

Back
Top Bottom