Hen can't walk

littlechick2000

Songster
Jul 25, 2015
South Carolina
my hen is 4 years old and I found her at the edge of the coop door. She can't walk or stand up, so she just huddles down where ever she manages to flop to. This happen once before over last summer and she wasn't better for about two weeks. I know she isn't egg bound, I've already checked. And last time this happened her droppings were greenish yellow. She will cluck, but unlike usual, she won't struggle when I pick her up. It gets down to the low 20 degrees at night, but she's under a heat lamp now. Does any one know what's happening, because she barely lived last time, and after the first time, she became unable to eat treats, or fly and jump.

It would help if you can tell us when she was last de wormed and what treatment you used for her...also, have you treated the flock for any lice/mites possibility?

Is her breathing normal ? Any rattling from her chest ?

Is her comb bright red or darkened ?

Open her mouth and check for any lesions...any creamy coloured growth in her mouth ?

Lots of questions here...but any further information you can provide may help to determine what the problem may be...

Thanks!

I would give her some electrolytes with vitamins in her water or some poultry nutri-drench 3 ml orally every day. She could be dehydrated or not eating enough, and the stress of cold weather has really affected her. Has she been laying eggs the last few months? Has she lost weight in her breastbone, or does she have any swelling in her lower abdomen? How does her crop feel? Offer her some chopped egg, tuna, wet layer feed, and a small amount of plain yogurt or probiotics. I would recommend worming her when she can tolerate it.

Ok thank you so much. I'm so sorry and I feel horrible for this but I didn't know you had chickens wormed, my parents don't care about them and find it worthless to spend extra money on them. I've only gotten one egg from my two isa brown hens (she is one of them), and none from my two California whites, and also none from my old English game bantams. She has no swelling, her comb is a lighter color than it should be, and she is extremely skinny. She's the lightest of my standard sixes chickens by a long shot. We already took care of the mites we had a while ago, and her breathing is normal. But even if it is worms, I don't think my parents will spend the money to get the medicine for it. I've already asked about things like that and they said that the chickens are useless since they are old and don't lay many eggs (even though I didn't get them for eggs), and they would rather spend their money on other things. They already let my 5 day old orphaned chick die because they wouldn't go get electrolytes for him. But I finally got enough money to buy some myself, even though I was too late.

I am so sorry for you. It is frustrating to have no power because of money.

Get that hen inside. She needs 85 degrees. You can use a storage tote, laundry basket, box. She is sick and won't be going anywhere. Use some old towels. Show your parents you are responsible by keeping her space clean.

She needs 45ml of fluid per pound. So if she is 5 lbs she needs 225 ml.

30 ml per oz

225/30 =
7.5 oz (pay attention in math class)

Do you have syringe? Do you have Gatorade?
If no, keep sticking her head in water

Worry about water right know more than food.
Tomorrow, grind chick feed in blender or food processor. Mix with water, pancake batter consistency. Syringe that in or she might eat on her own.

Fluids....can't give her too many

Let us know

Try adding some dissolved sugar into her water...

I do understand that this is hard for you....bless you and your chicken!

When I went to check on her today, I know times she wasn't eating, so I'm trying what I did last time, and giving her tomatoes, grape, blue berry, a little bit of vanilla yogurt, and a few different types of meat, I hope she'll eat it, it was past dark so she didn't right now, but I can't tell if she's drinking. Also now her breathing seems uneven and a little painful. I love my animals by my life, and it's killing me not to be with her. We're a little tight on money right now, with baby goats coming soon, we need to build a new goat house and a new chicken coop, because I plan to get about 5-6 silkies in late spring-early summer, along with a shrimp or two soon

I was wondering if anyone thought that this could have been a stroke, because she acts like she wants to move but can't. She tries to stand up but just flops around.

Have you ever had any birds with Mareks disease? Do you know if she was vaccinated for it? Usually it affects younger chickens, but if exposed recently to another bird with it, she could get it. Have you seen her eating and drinking regularly? Any animal could have a stroke, but some birds will have similar symptoms if not eating and drinking. You may want to think about having someone put her down if she continues to get worse because you wouldn't want her to suffer. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom