hen changing sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mandyb, Mar 26, 2012.

1. mandyb

mandyb New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    hey all i have a speckled hen which i have seen lay eggs and this weekend just gone i was in the garden and heard a rooster and thought i havent got 1 of them .....so when i turned round there it was my betty is now a burty i am confused as i have seen it lay eggs ....it will be a year old on the 15th june .....helppppppp is it normal thanks

2. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    Pictures would help but since you have seen it lay an egg I would assume it is a hen. Some hens will crow and take on the rooster role since you do not have one. How they would know how to crow if they don't hear it is beyond me but that is just something I have read before.

3. mandyb

mandyb New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    hey there
    i will put pics up 2morrow but it is a bit odd i even done the carding under the neck feathers and its saying hen but my husband looked at him earlier and said there is spurs starting 2 come out of his legs there like little nobbly bits lol :s

4. nthehunt

nthehunt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Virginia
    as was said some hens will crow and most will have teeny tiny bumps for spurs but there is NO way a rooster laid an egg some women may have a deeper than normal voice and a little bit of an adams apple but a man will never give birth to a child

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by