Hen Chicken Aprons / Saddles Protects and Allows Hens Time to Heal

Unfortunately, we don't have anything for that right now. When you separate her, can the other chickens see her? We've found that for our bullied chickens, if we keep them in an enclosure separate from the others but where the others can still see them, the bullying eventually stops. Depending on the case, the process can take a few months. We think it changes the pecking order when we do this!

Well, it's been more than 6 months and I still can't leave Henrietta with the general population or she winds up with a bloody head. The skin no longer grows feathers so I guess that attracts negative attention and she get's pecked until the blood runs. I literally have to take her out of the cage I keep her in that is inside the coop where they all can see her, and carry her out of the coop so she can free range but she stays close to the house, sometimes even at the steps of my house waiting for me to come out and pick her up to put her back in the cage. If there are no other chickens around she will venture out a little. If she sees the rooster getting close she will take off flying toward me expecting me to catch her in mid air but I'm not usually quick enough and she lands at my feet. My family laughs at me because I will sit on our porch swing holding her and it sounds like she's purring and she will usually close her eyes and it looks like she's sleeping. She won't move until I put her down then she hangs around me within a few feet. She is still laying, usually every other day.

I guess she will never be accepted back into the flock after this long.

I'm sorry that didn't work. :(
Try starting a new thread, maybe another member has ideas on what to do.

do you know i they can be used on ducks?, i have 2 female mallards (2-3lbs) that are missing feathers on their back because of 2 aggressive males, I am going to find new homes for the males, but until then, i don't want it to get worse

Unfortunately, we don't have anything for that right now. When you separate her, can the other chickens see her? We've found that for our bullied chickens, if we keep them in an enclosure separate from the others but where the others can still see them, the bullying eventually stops. Depending on the case, the process can take a few months. We think it changes the pecking order when we do this!
I currently have a hen with a bare back I have separated her from the rooster but when I put her back in with the hens they pecked her so much that I put her in a enclosure inside of the run where they can see her but not get to her. But should I have put the bullies in the enclosure or her? And there were two of them going after her last night not just one bully. I guess what I'm asking is should I enclose the hurt one or the bully?

Back
Top Bottom