Hen coughing blood

JJeeChicks

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2022
Hello,

We have 4 backyard chickens and my daughter was holding one of our hens yesterday and the hen gave a big cough and coughed out blood. It was quite alarming! Otherwise the hen appears fine. She’s laying eggs, eating, moving around. There is no discharge from her eyes or nose that I can tell.

We are very new to this and I have no clue if I should be worried and if there is anything to do or not?!

Thanks for any advise!

Did you look in her beak and throat to see if you could see anything? I would rule out injury first. One possibility is Infectious Laryngotracheitis, see the link below, scroll down.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044
Yikes, that doesn’t sound good.

Yes, there don’t appear to be any injuries. She is otherwise still acting like herself. I have isolated her now in case it’s something contagious, although it might be too late.

Now another chicken has something going on so the her eye…Ugh! It’s sort of gunky and bubbly. I’ll attach a photo. The other chicken appears fine now…not coughing up blood anymore but she still makes a gurgling sound.

Any further thoughts?!

Thanks

Attachments

• 503C1D0B-99BA-45F3-B19E-C2987B951A82.jpeg
    503C1D0B-99BA-45F3-B19E-C2987B951A82.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 8
Bubbling in eyes is a sign of MG, or mycoplasma gallisepticum. It's a respiratory disease. Your other bird may have it also, it's very contagious. If vet care is an option, they can do testing. If not, then a necropsy after one passes can confirm. The birds are carriers for life, the symptoms can come and go, recurring during times of stress. Antibiotics may help relieve the symptoms, but it's not a cure.
More info in the document below.

Attachments

• FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
    459.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom