Hen crowing like a rooster and driving us crazy!

RachelJoy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
One of our ameraucana hens is regularly waking up the neighborhood between 5:30 and 5:45 every morning. She sounds like a combination of a rooster and a sick goose, going at it at the top of her lungs.

She has taken to roosting way up in a tree and we can't get her down at night to go in the coop. When the sun comes up she starts to crow until I go outside and open up the coop so the rest of the girls can keep her company. Most days this works and she quiets right down and I go back to bed or start my day.

This morning she wouldn't stop. She has been making a racket, I'm sure the neighbors all hate me (especially since it's a holiday and everyone probably wants to sleep late - myself included). I brought out some treats and that kept her quiet for awhile. Then she started again. I went out again and had a very serious conversation with her and she was quiet for awhile. Then she started again.

I had been trying to go back to sleep each time, but I finally got up for real, went outside, and found she was 30 feet up in the tree crowing her heart out. I enticed her down with some cracked corn and she's quiet now, but I'm guessing in 10 minutes she'll start up again.

We live in a suburban neighborhood and I think we will have to get rid of her if this continues. Of course if she keeps roosting in the tree a raccoon might get her first.

She's 3 years old, and has crowed before, but not early in the morning and not for any duration. It's always been funny before.

Any ideas? Does this mean something? Or is she just annoying and ready to become chicken soup?

Thanks,

Rachel

I have a BO that does the same thing. Annoying as all get out.
Not sure if they can be broken of it or if they will just keep doing it no matter what.

I leave for work at 5:15 in the morning so I am certain the neighbors really dislike her.

Oh this sounds like our problem too! We have six hens, at least I'm hoping they are all hens! We got then when they were young so it was hard to tell. This is the first time I've ever had chickens so I have no experience to go on here. This morning I woke up to loud crowing at 6am! I've heard then crowing at other times of the day, but it's never woke me up before. I went outside to give them some scratch hoping they would shut up (luckily it worked...for now). Anyways, three of them were crowing! It was like it was a competition! I realized we may have accidentally got one rooster, but three??? They haven't started laying yet, so maybe time will tell. I just hope they stop crowing!

Can you catch her and put her in the coop before roosting time and keep her locked up? After a few days maybe she will sleep with the flock?

I'm lucky all mine come back in, but I noticed that one would prefer to sleep on top of the nest box. I'd move her every night and after a while, she got the hint. Some nights she'd fly back up there in total darkness. My coop is pitch black with both doors closed any time of the day.

Good luck. You might have to rehome this one though. I heard after a few years old, they don't make good tasting soup.

Last edited:
As I write this, I am listening to my 2 year old Barred Rock Hen, crowing...
barnie.gif
I chose a no rooster policy so I could avoid this crowing issue, and now I have it anyway. I don't know what is better a crowing hen or a rooster... I think the hen crows a lot less than a rooster would, so I will just have to put up with her. She is still laying, and she only crows a few times in the morning. If I go outside and hang out with them, she stops and just hangs out. Best of luck to you with your girl, mine is my favorite, so I will adapt.

My Barred Rock also woke me up at 6am this morning, but it was her "after laying an egg" crow. Loud as all get out and went on for 15 minutes before I finally went outside to give her attention. I just kept thinking, surely she'll stop after this one. surely she'll stop after this one, etc....I hope this doesn't become a habit!

The one that is all white looks like a hen but crows like a man all day! I got 4 pullets from a farm they said they were hens and they were juveniles and they all ended up roosters or 3 roosters and a crowing hen ?! Confused I gave the other roosters away my neighbor has the beautiful sweet white rooster with the colorful tail in this picture . I love hearing him crow in the morning. This one crows all day and she looks like a hen!!

My dominant pullet of 3 Wyandot's, has been crowing for a few weeks now, every few of days. First time I laughed, but now it's getting annoying. My Husband threw a cup of water on her this morning - 3 times before she stopped! Though none of them are laying eggs yet - and they're suppose to be 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 months old now!

My dominant pullet of 3 Wyandot's, has been crowing for a few weeks now, every few of days. First time I laughed, but now it's getting annoying. My Husband threw a cup of water on her this morning - 3 times before she stopped! Though none of them are laying eggs yet - and they're suppose to be 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 months old now!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom