Hen Crowing or Young Rooster? Please Help!

newbiechix

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Portsmouth, VA
I recently traded a young rooster I had for what I was told was a black sex-link hen about the same age. However, I'm starting to doubt whether she's a hen at all. When I first brought her/him home and introduced her/him to the other members of the flock, she/he immediately began fighting with the other dominant chickens. Attacking them. Actually running after various chickens and attacking them unprovoked. Most of my flock are very docile and friendly, and after a few of her attacks, they basically all banded together to avoid her as a group. By the time I caught her/him, she had some blood on her face from the attacks.

The next day everyone was avoiding her/him, but there were no more fights. I thought all was well. Then the following morning I heard very loud and distinct crowing... coming from the supposed "hen." She kept at it for quite some time. Probably even more than the rooster I had used her to replace.

So my question is, is this a cockrel and not a hen? I've attached a picture since this is my first flock of chickens and I simply don't know.

For reference, the chicken I thought was a rooster that I used her to replace is pictured below. This guy/gal certainly did crow regularly, though not as much as the new addition. Is it possible that this wasn't a roo after all??? It was my favorite chicken, so I hated to trade.

Im no expert but there seems to be an awful lot of red on that face to be a hen. I have heard that the wattles can get bigger and redder in a hen just before she starts laying so there is a chance. How old is she? Also if he or she is crowing, I would say roo. Everytime I have a question about one of mine and I post for help.....if others aren't able to tell for sure they tell me "if it lays an egg its a hen if it crows its a roo". Good luck! I am pretty new to this too and keep running into similar situations. So I feel your pain!
barnie.gif

She is supposed to be around 15 weeks old. I agree that she's much redder in the face than the "rooster" I just gave away and am dismayed to think I may have given away a hen and/or gotten another rooster. I live in a 'no crow' zone, so I can't keep a rooster. I was just giving away the ones that started to crow... assuming they were roosters. Unfortunately, none of mine are old enough to begin laying yet, so it's been a guessing game so far.

Hi, please do not take this the wrong way. You need to brush up on what cockerels look like. The bird you got, you should have known from the onset that it was a boy. Look at his tail feathers, no pullet will ever have a set of streamers like that. Also see how the neck feathering looks more... Hair like... Boy... I hate that people take advantage of new chicken owners. So, you've got 3 options, keep him, eat him, rehome him. If you trade... Take a good long look at your pullets... No long tail feather/streamers/saddle feathers. Neck feathers/hackles should not have a fine hairy look. Also, cockerels will be more colorful... Red in the shoulders, purple, green, blue sheen to the tail feathers.Anyway, glad you have chickens. They are so much fun! Even the roosters. Also... Never EVER just add a chicken to the existing flock. You never know what disease you may introduce. Always quarantine.

Welcome to BYC!

This chicken actually was given to me by the same people I got the other chicks from, so there wasn't a need for an additional quarantine period. I guess I just can't believe that they would lie about this other bird. I mean, a sex-link is just that...

I do appreciate the help in identifying this as a roo. I still have a few others I'm questioning in my flock that haven't crowed yet, so I might take a closer look at those feathers tonight.

That is a mutt chicken. It has characteristics of a couple if breeds. They may have bred a sex link with some thing else and are calling that a sex link. Sex links are already crosses and don't breed true. If you want lawn ornaments and eggs they are fine.

Back
Top Bottom