Hen crowing?

kristeemorris

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
I got three chicks 7 weeks ago. All were about a day old. One is an Americana, one a Golden comet and the last a Buff Orpington.
They all get along fine and are doing great. The only problem is that the Orpington has started to try to crow! Do I have a rooster or do some hens crow???

At this age, it's a rooster. Older hens or hens with hormonal issues can crow, but a 7 week old female doesn't have hormonal issues yet.

I have the same question. My daughters class hatched chick eggs for a science project. She brought two home. I thought great, we can have eggs. Well as they began to grow I figured one is definitely a rooster. It is double the size of the other. Long tail feathers. When I started to hear crowing I thought it was that one for sure. But I actually saw the little one crowing last week. They look completely different.
Is it possible for it to be a hen and crow.

I have the same question. My daughters class hatched chick eggs for a science project. She brought two home. I thought great, we can have eggs. Well as they began to grow I figured one is definitely a rooster. It is double the size of the other. Long tail feathers. When I started to hear crowing I thought it was that one for sure. But I actually saw the little one crowing last week. They look completely different.
Is it possible for it to be a hen and crow.
Possible, yes. Likely, no. And if it's under a year, it's pretty much a rooster.

If you want to be sure, take a good profile picture of the bird in question, including legs and comb, and post them on the "What breed or gender" section. Just start a new thread, and include the age of the bird--that can be critical!

Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

I got three chicks 7 weeks ago. All were about a day old. One is an Americana, one a Golden comet and the last a Buff Orpington.
They all get along fine and are doing great. The only problem is that the Orpington has started to try to crow! Do I have a rooster or do some hens crow???
I had this same thing happen to me this spring! I really didn't think I was going to be able to keep him, I was intimidated at the thought of keeping a rooster. Luckily, I'm in the country and have a choice because he is turning out to be a wonderful rooster. He had fought off the neighbor's little dog who was after a hen. He is very gentle when mating. He rounds up his girls and hides them away if a hawk is near. He puts them to bed when it is time and he finds yummy treats in the yard and calls them over to eat. He is also very respectful to my family and I. I hope yours works out as well.

At this age, it's a rooster. Older hens or hens with hormonal issues can crow, but a 7 week old female doesn't have hormonal issues yet.
Agreed.

At that age, it is a rooster.

Older hens, especially the dominate hen in the flock where there are no roosters, can take on male characteristics and "crow."

But not babies growing up. If its starting to crow, its a rooster.

Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom