Hen done raising chicks - now what?

boatagor

Songster
7 Years
6 Years
Apr 4, 2017
Southwest Virginia
I have a speckled Sussex that hatched out 11 chicks starting May 2nd. She is not a very nice hen (she will peck if she thinks you have food), but she's approachable so I thought maybe it would work out since she would teach the babies not to be afraid. Well, the babies aren't afraid but she has been a terror! She's attacked me several times when walking through the chicken and goat area, and she beats up my goats and the other chickens. I'm very, very over her attitude and ready to cull her. She is no longer calling the babies when there is food, she is not sleeping with them, and today I caught her chasing and pecking several of them when they tried to eat near her. Is it too early to separate her, or would the babies be okay at this point? I suppose another week or two won't be a deal breaker but I'm at my breaking point! The weather should stay in the upper 70s and 80s for the next 10 days. Lows in the 50s and 60s at night, but I can't imagine they would need heat. I'm mostly worried with her gone the other chickens will hurt them, but no one else is attacking them except her! I can separate her from the babies and everyone else to see if the others will be a problem before moving forward with a permanent solution. Any other advice?

I have a speckled Sussex that hatched out 11 chicks starting May 2nd. She is not a very nice hen (she will peck if she thinks you have food), but she's approachable so I thought maybe it would work out since she would teach the babies not to be afraid. Well, the babies aren't afraid but she has been a terror! She's attacked me several times when walking through the chicken and goat area, and she beats up my goats and the other chickens. I'm very, very over her attitude and ready to cull her. She is no longer calling the babies when there is food, she is not sleeping with them, and today I caught her chasing and pecking several of them when they tried to eat near her. Is it too early to separate her, or would the babies be okay at this point? I suppose another week or two won't be a deal breaker but I'm at my breaking point! The weather should stay in the upper 70s and 80s for the next 10 days. Lows in the 50s and 60s at night, but I can't imagine they would need heat. I'm mostly worried with her gone the other chickens will hurt them, but no one else is attacking them except her! I can separate her from the babies and everyone else to see if the others will be a problem before moving forward with a permanent solution. Any other advice?
From my experience there comes a time where the moms will start to push the babies away to teach them to be independent. Some can be a little mean when teaching them that particular lesson, wich is usually learnt quickly by their chicks, while others are not so mean and it takes a little longer. I wouldn't remove her unless you are seeing her purposefully going up to them and attacking. Also, I suggest putting out a few more feeders and waterers so they have more options to get food away from their mom.

no question, id have that one in the time- out pen if the babies are 5w+ .. if i had another real mean one i might put them in together and hit them with the water hose occasionally until that attitude was straightened out ..

Back
Top Bottom