hen feathered cocks

bluepits0511

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 9, 2010
hello good day...
im new in breeding chickens,,, just want to ask our experts as what they can say about hen feathered cocks...
how does the gene works?
how can i produce this kind of feathering?
and lastly how can i make them to breed true? like the sebrights,,," they are hen feathered"
any info will be of great help!

tnx
good day

Henny feathering is an incomplete dominant gene. You could get it form sebright.
If the double dose animals are not apparent (what I do not suspect in the males, but 100% sure ìs the case in the females) you will have to do testmatings to see if any non hen feathered cockerels are produced.

The mechanism is by altering hormone action in the skin.

Wouldn't that be the rosecomb gene; also in sebright...
wink.png

Quote:
tnx for the info
smile.png

right now i have 2 henny feathered oeg cock and 1 silver sebright cock...
since it's hard to tell if the hen has a henny feather gene,,, would it be alright if i just breed my 3 henny cocks with sebrights?

then can i breed the 1st generation by "siblings to siblings" , "father to daughters" and "mother to son". what would be best?

any suggestions would be a great help....

goodday

Quote:
is this true...
would this lead to low fertility flocks?
can this be prevented? say by breeding different unrelated henny cocks!
tnx

Quote:
tnx for the info
smile.png

right now i have 2 henny feathered oeg cock and 1 silver sebright cock...
since it's hard to tell if the hen has a henny feather gene,,, would it be alright if i just breed my 3 henny cocks with sebrights?

then can i breed the 1st generation by "siblings to siblings" , "father to daughters" and "mother to son". what would be best?

any suggestions would be a great help....

goodday

What do you want to create exactly?

Back
Top Bottom