Hen fighting with Rooster

She is on 20% protein laying pellets.
Just make sure that you switch back to 16% when they're done molting. That much protein can be bad for them unless they really need it, although I forget exactly why
roll.png

I should look into the protein. I didn't know that 20% protein was not best for them. I'll study on that.

I mix laying pellets (20%) with scratch in the feeder. We give them kitchen scraps almost daily.

Hm. That might balance it out, but I'm no expert, and don't have any experience with mixing feeds and such
idunno.gif
From what I've read, it's best to leave the feed alone, because chicken experts have it formulated just right, so they get all they need in a day.

I should look into the protein. I didn't know that 20% protein was not best for them. I'll study on that.

I mix laying pellets (20%) with scratch in the feeder. We give them kitchen scraps almost daily.
Usually not recommended to mix scratch grains with 'regular' feed ration as they will go for the grain and waste the feed.

Do you mix it half and half?
Say your grains are 8%, look at the label.
1 part 20% + 1 part 8% = 28% divided by 2 = 14% protein.
That's if they are eating an equal portion of grain to ration.

I free feed a 20% ration and give them a semi measured amount of scratch grains on the ground daily...works out to about 17-18% protein.
If they get other foods that day, I cut down the amount of grain.

Too much protein can be bad, but 20% is not excessive....it's when you get up to 25-30% protein that it can get dicey depending on the situation.

Back
Top Bottom