Hen finally squatting again after illness...eggs when?

Chotii

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Seattle area (Kirkland)
I have a Cuckoo Maran who was laying very well before she got an eye injury, early last month...and then went broody during her convalescence. The eye is all better, I broke her of the broodiness, and she seems to be gaining back the weight she lost. Her comb, which had gone pale and shrunken, seems to be getting some color back. And today..! Today she did the 'good girl' squat for me for the first time in perhaps 6 weeks, and actually stood there so I could pat her back.

I know with pullets, this squatting can precede the appearance of first eggs by weeks sometimes. What about with mature hens who have suffered an injury and stopped laying as a result?

I would love to know the answer to this, too.

We have a dearly loved "Aracauna" named Josie-Marie who lays brown eggs
hmm.png
idunno.gif
. She started laying in August and she wasn't particularly consistent. Then in September she contracted confirmed lead poisoning and she was extensively treated and survived. She stopped laying. She's now starting to do the "squatty thing" again.

To answer my own question:

Pepper the Cuckoo Maran began squatting again on the 21st or 22nd; we got 3 eggs yesterday (2 brown eggs and 1 white) and the same today. So I guess she really is laying again, although I can't tell hers from the Black Sex Link's, and I used to be able to. It's just terribly unlikely that the Black Sex Link would lay 2 eggs two days in a row, AND both in the morning.

Yay!

Back
Top Bottom