Hen found dead with enlarged and bloody vent

Danny_80

Hatching
Dec 23, 2023
Hello everyone.
I found one of my hens dead in their enclosure and while approaching her I noticed blood in the vent area. I lifted her up and saw that the cloaca was totally torn appart or something and it looked hollow inside. What dazzles me is the fact that she looks and behaved totally healthy. Healthy head, healthy feathers, healthy skin. Did anyone see anything similar or know what might be the reason of death? (I’m sorry for sensitive content)
It’s hard for me to believe she was attacked by an animal since it doesn’t look like there are bite marks, the other hens were very calm, and I didn’t hear our dog signal an intrusion beforehand (he’s very protective of them and can’t get inside). I’m very confused with what might have happened.
I also thought of bird flu, since we have a wave of bird flu in the area we live in, but again, she looks healthy.
Could it happen to her while laying eggs? I did find a somewhat bloody egg in the nest, but this is also hard for me to believe, given the harshness of the wound. 😞
Thank you very much in advance for your opinions.
cypFGy1l0G.webp

Last edited:
Did anyone see anything similar or know what might be the reason of death? (I’m sorry for sensitive content)
It’s hard for me to believe she was attacked by an animal since it doesn’t look like there are bite marks,
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your loss. :(

No, not from laying, prolapse looks different than that.

Bite marks aren't require if the flesh is torn.. but my first guess would be rats (secondary might be cannibalism). A pic or description of the set up may help others make more useful suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom