Hen getting picked on

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hey yall, I have a buff orpington that is getting picked on my the whole flock. Her name is Mango and she is about one year old. They peck her a lot and are tearing her feathers out. She does her scared chattered noise a lot.They grab her and she is always so scared. If I don't let her out of the run every morning she paces in front of the gate. I once saw my RIR fly at her and with claws and beak just attack her. I don't get it! Shes no different from the others, and she is bigger than some of the others. She free ranges and hangs out in the barn all day. She even prefers I know having her apart from the flock could make it worse but I've left her in before and its 10 times worse. A few hens always come out with her too. But I've noticed shes always alone. She marched over to the neighbors once and ate their bird seed that fell out of their feeder. I always leave several food spots for her so she can eat since they always push her off the food. She will walk over to the horses and eats hay out of the bags with them, she bosses the cats around and steals their food. She even walks under the horses like shes fearless. Shes such a sweet girl and lets me pet her and pick her up all the time. I feel so bad for her and don't know what to do! Help!
1647187203227.png
1647187256122.png

You are doing what I do. Chickens are bad about bullying and separation is about all you can do. If it were one bird doing the bullying I'd suggest getting rid of the bully, but as it is...

Yes, my coop is probably too small, but I cannot upgrade at the moment. I plan to as soon as possible though. I will probably move the bullied victim to a safe secluded area. Thank you for the help! :)

I'm having this same issue with my red ...they are ganging up on her and I'm at a loss what to do ...I take her out to give her a break but I'm very fearful they will harm her... today I've put her back in coop but what happens tonight when I put the others in the coop? My heart is broken for her she's so sweet and just hides at my feet ....lost new chicken mum Here

I'm having this same issue with my red ...they are ganging up on her and I'm at a loss what to do ...I take her out to give her a break but I'm very fearful they will harm her... today I've put her back in coop but what happens tonight when I put the others in the coop? My heart is broken for her she's so sweet and just hides at my feet ....lost new chicken mum Here
I’m sorry to hear that. My hen still is getting picked on, but I have her seperated and she beds down in a crate in our barn every night. She goes into it and perches on the wooden block I have in there for her. We are moving within the next few weeks and I will have a better setup then, but until then :confused: I guess we will keep up our routine. Maybe you could try something like that? Just make sure it’s predator proof. Where are you located? What kind of climate do you have there?

My son and I removed the one really bullying her and separated them for the day ....she's got a bad leg and hobbles about compared to the others ....we notice her tail feathers stay down and she isn't social with Any of the flock...she only wants to hide by us when we go out there ...we are outside st Louis Missouri it's been hot but I've been taking them ice and fresh water along with lots of frozen treats. We are thinking about making her a nice bed in the garage for night fall because this morning she refused to leave the coop when I moved them. Soon as I got her down from coop that one bird immediately started attacking her ...I'm completely heart broken I love these birds dearly and I'm at a point of wanting that mean one out of our peaceful coop. I've got toys for them ...I've built dust baths ...I've got hanging treats ...I'm trying so hard to not let them get bored. Now i have taken my red one out a few times to walk around yard with me because she stays right next to me and I'm thinking I've created the problem now. I can't let them all out because we have hawks so bad here. Little red is like my shadow though so her I can be out with. What do I do? I'm thinking I'm not cut out for chicken life

Wishing will not improve things. You need to change something. It is a horrible life being picked on. These are the things you can do.
  • Reduce the size of your flock
  • Add more clutter to your run
  • Pin-less peepers
You will notice I do not say add more space. Space takes money and time. A bird being picked on does not really have time. If you do add more space, then add more birds. Animal husbandry is making decisions for the good of most of the birds. Sometimes you really do get a bird that does not fit in with the others. Don't keep that bird. Chickens are really not forever friends.

Mrs K

Wishing will not improve things. You need to change something. It is a horrible life being picked on. These are the things you can do.
  • Reduce the size of your flock
  • Add more clutter to your run
  • Pin-less peepers
You will notice I do not say add more space. Space takes money and time. A bird being picked on does not really have time. If you do add more space, then add more birds. Animal husbandry is making decisions for the good of most of the birds. Sometimes you really do get a bird that does not fit in with the others. Don't keep that bird. Chickens are really not forever friends.

Mrs K
Would you omit the bully? This is my first go round with chickens ...we separated the bully this morning for about 2 hours reintroduced her and it's a bit calmer but I've noticed little red isn't socializing with them. I think our coop at night is to small and its causing the problem perhaps. Googling pin less peepers I've not heard of that

Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom