Hen Getting Ready to Lay??

Yes. When im at work
There's no guarantees of how often they will lay.
Are you still keeping her confined most of the day(11am might be too early)?
, I can't let them out until around. 3.30. Just wondering if pullets who are new at it are less consistent.

, I can't let them out until around. 3.30.
That's good IMO...better for nest training.
Yes, new layers can be inconsistent....but so can older layers.
You get what you get when you get it.
Observation over time will show some patterns,
and as soon as you think you know just what they are going to do,
they change it up :D

Just want to say again how very much I appreciate all the responses and advice from the veteran chicken keepers on here. This sight is so fabulous and everyone is so eager to help.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! How cool is that! A first egg is so exciting.

Its been a couple of weeks that my RIR finally started sitting in the nest! So the other Danish is dancing around and squawking up a storm, waving her pom poms, doing a cheer had her megaphone out. While RIR is sitting in basket telling her to quiet down I can't go with all this going on.

Finally hours later all was quiet and she didn't even leave a fart!

This went on for three days then nothing! Not a peep. No egg, no squawking, nada, zilch.

A week later I looked outside to see how they were doing and she's taking a dust bath the other doing chicken things. And I look and there were two beautiful perfect small eggs. The Danish has been laying for a month. And every day since I get two perfect eggs. One brown and one white all done very quiet.
20170903_074152-1.jpg

Last edited:
My two leg horns are laying and one of my Buff Orpingtons has been lazing. Could she be preparing?

Orpington take longer to mature, I think. I got some Wynadottes when they were 6 months, they started laying at 8 months. First time with Orps, they're 22wks & combs/wattles still pink so I'm guessing they'll start around the end of the year. Can't rush Mother Nature...

Attachments

• DSC04047.JPG
    DSC04047.JPG
    896.8 KB · Views: 12
CONGRATULATIONS!!! How cool is that! A first egg is so exciting.

Its been a couple of weeks that my RIR finally started sitting in the nest! So the other Danish is dancing around and squawking up a storm, waving her pom poms, doing a cheer had her megaphone out. While RIR is sitting in basket telling her to quiet down I can't go with all this going on.

Finally hours later all was quiet and she didn't even leave a fart!

This went on for three days then nothing! Not a peep. No egg, no squawking, nada, zilch.

A week later I looked outside to see how they were doing and she's taking a dust bath the other doing chicken things. And I look and there were two beautiful perfect small eggs. The Danish has been laying for a month. And every day since I get two perfect eggs. One brown and one white all done very quiet.
View attachment 1130678

That's awesome!!!! Those are some pretty eggs! :)

So my girl's egg had a few white spots on it today. I'm hoping this again is normal from a new layer. I was wondering if I was feeding too much calcium.
IMG_5245[1].JPG
IMG_5245[1].JPG
She doesn't seem to be eating the oyster shells that I offer free-choice really. However, I kind of agree with the school of thought that chickens take what they need when they need it. That has been what I've observed so far. Is this normal? The egg is still pretty and I'm sure edible. Any further advice is so very much appreciated. :)

Back
Top Bottom