Hen goes through molt, no eggs yet - ?

TexasWineGuy

Songster
Jun 15, 2019
Magnolia, TX
Howdy All,

One of my hens, about 2.5 years old started her molt with the others in early December. She has yet to start laying again while the others have.

Is this typical? Anything to be concerned about?

TWG

Howdy All,

One of my hens, about 2.5 years old started her molt with the others in early December. She has yet to start laying again while the others have.

Is this typical? Anything to be concerned about?

TWG
My almost 1 year old light brahma started her molt around Thanksgiving and just started laying again 2 weeks ago. But she had been done with her molt for a good 3-4 weeks.

Not unusual for a bird her age. What breed is she?
Agreed
Black Laced Wyandotte.
My two 6-7 year old Wyandottes still lay well. Its definitely a combination of her age and molt causing her to take a rest from laying. I wouldn't expect less. Its completely normal. She should start laying again soon. Most start right around Spring.

I'd say she's still in the range of molting times - some birds molt hard & fast, others take longer. Even when we think they're done, there still could be feathers coming in, here & there. And there's still the winter break/fewer daylight hours to contend with. How does her comb look?

April 15th, still no eggs.

Still in normal range?

Started molt in early December. Seems a bit lethargic when I let them out to free-range the property.

?

TWG

Back
Top Bottom