hen going broody twice? in a row....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Is it possible for a hen to go broody about 2 months after she had come out of being broody...if you know what I mean. I think my Black Giant has gone broody again(she didn't get any chicks the last time and sat on the eggs for 27-28 days).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:It is a hens nature to brood, we breed that OUT of her.

An extreme case of this is the Egyptian Fayoumi. The Egyptians have been artificially incubating eggs for so long (since the Pharaoes) without brood hens that Fayoumis are now known for having no brood instincts at all.

So sure, why not? Sounds like she's doing what comes naturally.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have had lots of hens go Broody more than once especially if they didn't get to set a clutch of eggs the first time...I have one now that is setting on air for the second time...

4. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    One of my mixed breed hens has went broody 4 times already this year and is working on her 5th time as of Friday July 4th, 2008. Shes not setting on any eggs but she tries to set on the laying hens eggs. She waits until there is a laying hen that has come off of the nest and if she is not sitting on any eggs at the time she gets up and sits on the laying hens egg.[​IMG]

5. Silkie's Grandma

Silkie's Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West-Central Wisconsin
    My Bantam coachin hen hatched 7 chicks on 5-4-08 & started right back setting on eggs. She just hatched 12 more chicks on 7-3-08. Part of the setting time her chicks were in the hidden nest with her. (I normally wouldn't let them set so soon again - but she found a hideing spot, & it's obvious they were not all her eggs..so I guess she stole some from another hen) ... I trust she knows what she is doing![​IMG]

6. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Wow..I learn something new every day. I thought chicken only went broody once a year. Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by