Hen got chewed by weasel is still alive - URGET ADVICE NEEDED

buffnugget

Hatching
Jun 3, 2023
*gore warning* Hey guys, a weasel/mink reaccured in my girls’ coop tonight, three were killed and this one was chewed up and left outside. The skin on her neck and behind the comb was removed (eaten), the muscle is visible, but little to no bleeding at the time I found her.
Any advice on how to help her?
1685844883856.jpeg

*gore warning* Hey guys, a weasel/mink reaccured in my girls’ coop tonight, three were killed and this one was chewed up and left outside. The skin on her neck and behind the comb was removed (eaten), the muscle is visible, but little to no bleeding at the time I found her.
Any advice on how to help her?View attachment 3528221
Get her to a vet ASAP

@Wyorp Rock can help much better than i can but i will still try to kep with the basics. I’ve heard of chicken’s surviving much worse conditions without needing to go to a vet. I’d suggest keeping it clean and cutting back the feathers around the wound. Your biggest issue is going to be a infection. Keep her separated and in a dog crate or somewhere where you can watch her.

Any advice on how to help her?View attachment 3528221
Welcome To BYC

@Rose the Legbar has it right.
Trim the feathers away from the wound, it may be a bit tricky since the skin is loose there, but the goal is to trim long feathers so they don't stick in the wound or ointment.

For a wound like this I would swab it out with Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), then apply triple antibiotic ointment so it doesn't dry out. You may find that the ointment like a bit thick and hard to apply as it, but if you will warm it slightly either between your gloved fingers or by sticking the tube (with lid on) in a warm cup of water, this will make it easier to apply.

Is she drinking o.k. and able to eat?

Welcome To BYC

@Rose the Legbar has it right.
Trim the feathers away from the wound, it may be a bit tricky since the skin is loose there, but the goal is to trim long feathers so they don't stick in the wound or ointment.

For a wound like this I would swab it out with Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), then apply triple antibiotic ointment so it doesn't dry out. You may find that the ointment like a bit thick and hard to apply as it, but if you will warm it slightly either between your gloved fingers or by sticking the tube (with lid on) in a warm cup of water, this will make it easier to apply.

Is she drinking o.k. and able to eat?
Yes she’s able to drink and eat I cleaned the wound and trimmed the feathers back and she’s a lot better now

Back
Top Bottom