Hen got killed tonight....Rooster?

Tokenfreak

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2019
Warning: Graphic pictures below.

One of my hens got killed tonight? Do you think the rooster did this? The coop and the pen attached to it is secure. I don't see how anything could have gotten in to do this. I have had this hen and the rooster for over 2 years now. The rooster has always been a little aggressive and has flogged me a couple times. I only had 3 hens total so maybe he was aggressive with them? I was planning on adding 6 more hens soon, but now I am scared so I might keep them in the separate pen until I know if the rooster did this or not. I hope my other 2 hens don't get killed tonight by the rooster or whatever is causing this. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about this? I would really appreciate anyones input. Thanks.

IMG_4435.jpeg
IMG_4437.jpeg
IMG_4436.jpeg

Last edited:

One of my hens got killed tonight? Do you think the rooster did this? The coop and the pen attached to it is secure. I don't see how anything could have gotten in to do this. I have had this hen and the rooster for over 2 years now. The rooster has always been a little aggressive and has flogged me a couple times. I only had 3 hens total so maybe he was aggressive with them? I was planning on adding 6 more hens soon, but now I am scared so I might keep them in the separate pen until I know if the rooster did this or not. I hope my other 2 hens don't get killed tonight by the rooster or whatever is causing this. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about this? I would really appreciate anyones input. Thanks.

View attachment 2724810View attachment 2724812View attachment 2724813
Looks like a raccoon attack or a possum they usually always attack by head make sure to raccoon proof your cooop their are videos on it :) Alo’s add a carbeaner to

Is there any spot the hen could have stuck her head out? Maybe through the fence?
Or if the top has an area covered with wire or netting, she could have flown up and had her head go out that way.

If a predator grabbed the head and ripped it off, the body would probably flap all around just like when someone kills a chicken for butchering. So the body would end up somewhere away from where the head got pulled off, and would spread feathers all over at the same time.

So the predator might not have gotten into the coop at all, if the hen's head got out instead.

View attachment 2724810View attachment 2724812View attachment 2724813
Sorry for your loss !It looks like a coon or owl got inside the coop.If you don't have hardware cloth up they can reach inside with their paws or feet and grab the chicken by the head. Anything smaller such as a weasel would have likely killed them all.Your rooster didn't do this. Chicken wire only keeps chickens in and doesn't keep predators out.Its easily stretched and chewed into then allowing predators inside.
If you can set a trap use the dead chicken to lure it.Hope you catch whatever it is..

So sorry for your loss. It appears a predator got into your coop and killed your bird. Do you have a camera you could put up to see if anything has been lurking? At least then you should know for sure. Good luck...

I know many people don't believe in using chicken wire but I use it but I have several pens and I couldn't afford to use something like hardware cloth. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing messes with the hot wires. Also where are you located? Most of the same predators are most everywhere but there are a few that are only in certain areas. Again, good luck...
AccountDetailsLocation.jpg

Back
Top Bottom