Hen had seizure/stroke/ something not good

Emma_Bruffy

Songster
Aug 17, 2020
I was just locking up I ran all the chickens in like normal and when I went around to the front to count them I opened the door and saw my rooster on one of the hens but the hen was holding her head up and gasping so I took the rooster off and she started flapping her wings and kicking her legs it looked like when a chicken was dying and I thought she was going to die right there so I picked her up and brought her outside and she just sat there gasping and was trying to walk but was really wobbly we are treating for coccidiosis right now and I know c o r i d can give them vitamin deficiencies I took a video of the way she was sitting once I brought her out of the coop but I didn't get a video of the actual main event I don't know if it was a stroke or seizure or what

She is about one and a half years old and is a Barred Rock Jersey Giant mix the video won't load here but I'm going to post it to YouTube and try to get it up here to show you

It could be heart failure or a respiratory problem.
Do you think it could be organ failure because she's so big, my grandma swears she was just flipping because the rooster was on her and she didn't like it but it looked exactly like a dying chickens flops on the ground

Do you think it could be organ failure because she's so big, my grandma swears she was just flipping because the rooster was on her and she didn't like it but it looked exactly like a dying chickens flops on the ground
What is her diet? Size rarely means anything to indicate illnesses.
Have you tried treating her for vitamin deficiency?
I would doubt it's the rooster, except if he set off an already existing issue.

What is her diet? Size rarely means anything to indicate illnesses.
Have you tried treating her for vitamin deficiency?
I would doubt it's the rooster, except if he set off an already existing issue.
Sorry this was so long ago she's ok now, but her diet is 75% layer pellets from our local mill, 25% scratch from producers pride, with a handful of oyster shells. They free range about 1-2 hours a day( I have to sit and watch them because of all the hunters dogs running loose)

We are planning on buying electric poultry netting that I can move around so they can "free range" without worrying about dogs

Sorry this was so long ago she's ok now, but her diet is 75% layer pellets from our local mill, 25% scratch from producers pride, with a handful of oyster shells. They free range about 1-2 hours a day( I have to sit and watch them because of all the hunters dogs running loose)
Her diet need to be 90% pellets and 10% scratch, scratch isn't the best thing in the world for them.

Back
Top Bottom