Hen has a cracked beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Annemade, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Annemade

Annemade Chirping

May 16, 2017
    Michigan
    One of my 17 month old hens has a cracked beak. I noticed it today because she wasn't talking grapes from my hand, or picking them up from the ground. She is usually the first for any treat, and usually very excited around treats. I picked her up and while looking her over noticed a crack about 1/4 inch from the end of her beak, about half way across. I think she is eating , her crop wasn't completely empty (430 in the afternoon ). Can I fix it somehow, maybe super glue? I can tell it is bothering her, she is subdued, not her normal self. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

penny1960 likes this.
  2. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Songster

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    Can we see it? Does it go all the way threw? Do you know how it happened?

penny1960 and chuckachucka like this.
  3. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    I recently tried supergluing my hens cracked beak but a few days later the end of the beak fell off anyway. Luckily she seems OK without the end piece. If the beak is only cracked halfway across, are you sure it is what is bothering her so much? I mean is it possible there is something else wrong with her? Photos would be helpful.

penny1960 and jonezjollyfarm like this.
  4. Annemade

Annemade Chirping

May 16, 2017
    Michigan
    I will try to get a picture shortly. It is not all the way across. Makes me think of when you tear a fingernail part way across.

penny1960 likes this.
  5. Annemade

Annemade Chirping

May 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Here is the best picture I could get. Jackie was not interested in a photo shoot. She is acting normally, eating meal worms and scratch. Didn't want to bite the grape, I suspect it hurt to apply force to the end of her beak.

Attached Files:

penny1960 likes this.
  6. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Songster

Jan 1, 2013
    I'd try to superglue it to stabilize it. Just be careful not to glue her mouth shut! :)

penny1960 and townchicks like this.
  7. Annemade

Annemade Chirping

May 16, 2017
    Michigan
    I tried to super glue her beak, she wasn't too cooperative. Not sure how well I did. Didn't want to use too much. At least she wasn't too mad at me, she ate meal worms from my hand. I will check her tomorrow after work and see how she is doing.

penny1960 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sue Gremlin, aart and penny1960 like this.
  9. Annemade

Annemade Chirping

May 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Thanks for the link- I read thru it, good information! I will check her again this afternoon after work and see how she is doing.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  10. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    One of my hens broke the tip off. It grew back. Yours doesn't look like too much to worry about. Beaks are like fingernails. As long as she doesn't break it to the quick, she will be fine.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: