Hen has a cut on neck, Help!

ArdentAshley

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Hi guys, I'm new to the group and new to owning chickens. I've had mine for a few weeks and got them as 1 year old layers from a friend. Today I went out to check on them/ work on their new coop and noticed something weird on one of my naked necks. She seems to have a large gash or cut on her neck near or on her crop. Here is a photo of it closed, but as she moves it sort of opens up and looks horrible. It's not bleeding, but has just a little dried blood in it and some yellow-ish tissue looking stuff. Anyone have any advice? I don't know how it happened, but maybe she got caught on a sharp edge of the chicken wire we're installing? Do you think it could have cut into the crop, and if so, what should I do?

Help!

LL

wow it looked like its already healed open like that its kind of strange. it does look like it's into the crop from what I can see but you would be able to tell better than I. they have a super glue like treatment for wounds on cattle (don't know the name but it actually GLUES the flesh together) you can ask at the feed store. I ; if she were mine would try the super glue wound stuff or I'd suture the area myself. I keep sutures on hand in my medical kit just incase. is this a fresh wound or a older wound? I'd also put her on a general anti infective antibiotic like levamycine 200 or a water soluble antibotic to percent further or any infection. I think in my humble opinion that the wound is too big to leave open also the area its at would be a concern to leave it open like that however that's just my opinion. if she were mine I'd clean the area well and either put the super glue stuff or suture it to close it so it can heal back together. you say it keeps opening when she moves that might pervent it from healing without closing the wound. thats why i would close the wound. that's what I would do. I hope this is helpful in some way. I wish you the very best of luck. I'm no expert by any means but if she were mine that's how I would treat it.I hope she heals soon. God bless.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom