hen has chest lump

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
my hen has a lump on her chest. On top of the very top of her breast bone. It moves freely when i touch it. its about the size of a superball. There is no sign of trauma at all. feathers are normal around it. Should I worry?

Could it just be some food in her crop? During the day, my girls’ crops will be mostly empty but sometimes they have a little lump of food in there - and it will move around if you push on it. It is located in the space between the wishbone. Hope this is what it is and nothing serious.

Could it just be some food in her crop? During the day, my girls’ crops will be mostly empty but sometimes they have a little lump of food in there - and it will move around if you push on it. It is located in the space between the wishbone. Hope this is what it is and nothing serious.
it is in the space between the wishbone. I will check her again tomorrow. thank you

A few of them have the lumps. one was smooth, the others felt like food. probably just food. i will keep an eye on them.

I always feel that if they are acting normal, they are probably fine (but then I always worry incessantly that they are just doing a good job of hiding their problems :barnie). Check them first thing in the morning. If the lump is gone or greatly diminished, most likely food and it was digested over night:wee.

Sounds like you are talking about a chicken's crop. It is on the top right of a chicken's chest. It should empty in the morning (before food) and be filled after their meals. You can search up chicken anatomy for reference. Or just "chicken crop".

It is usually the size of a ping pong ball, but some of my hens like to eat a ton and they will have a slightly larger crop. As long as it empties in the morning, its fine! :) ;)

Back
Top Bottom