Hen has droopy tail

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
One of my hens- Ollie hasn't laid an egg in a few days. She also isn't acting very healthy. I am pretty sure she is egg boundšŸ˜µ
This week has sucked- I lost 3 chick/chickens. Can I fix the problem?

Can you insert a clean finger into Ollieā€™s vent about 1-2 inches, to feel for a stuck egg? Can you post a picture of her? Is her tail up or down? Is she walking funny? If you think that she is egg bound, you may give her a calcium tablet or Tums orally in the back of her throat. A warm soak for about 20 minutes might relax her to help lay the egg, but donā€™t do that if she seems very weak. In the meantime, feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy and soft? Look her over for lice or mites under her vent on elesewhere on her skin. See if she will drink some water or eat some moistened feed or scrambled egg.

Can you insert a clean finger into Ollieā€™s vent about 1-2 inches, to feel for a stuck egg? Can you post a picture of her? Is her tail up or down? Is she walking funny? If you think that she is egg bound, you may give her a calcium tablet or Tums orally in the back of her throat. A warm soak for about 20 minutes might relax her to help lay the egg, but donā€™t do that if she seems very weak. In the meantime, feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy and soft? Look her over for lice or mites under her vent on elesewhere on her skin. See if she will drink some water or eat some moistened feed or scrambled egg.
She mostly has her tail down, but takes it up from time to time. I watched her, she poops very small amounts that are mostly yellow and watery. I have seen her eat, but not drink. I can check for an egg in a little while. Thank you!

She mostly has her tail down, but takes it up from time to time. I watched her, she poops very small amounts that are mostly yellow and watery. I have seen her eat, but not drink. I can check for an egg in a little while. Thank you

Do I have to separate her? The flock lost a member this week, so it might stress them all out if she is gone too.

If you need to separate her, place her in a dog crate inside the coop or run with food and water. Can you post any pictures of the droppings? How does her crop feel? Can you feel of her lower belly down between her legs to note if it is enlarged or full of fluid? How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs? It could be anything from a reproductive infection or disorder to a crop problem or coccidiosis which usually affects young chickens.

If you need to separate her, place her in a dog crate inside the coop or run with food and water. Can you post any pictures of the droppings? How does her crop feel? Can you feel of her lower belly down between her legs to note if it is enlarged or full of fluid? How old is she? Does she normally lay eggs? It could be anything from a reproductive infection or disorder to a crop problem or coccidiosis which usually affects young chickens.
She is a little over a year old. She normally lays 5-6 eggs a week. Her lower belly feels soft, even a little squishy. Her crop feels a little full, but not stuffed.

Try giving the calcium tablet or Tums. A warm bath also, if she is not extremely weak, might help. But first check her vent for a stuck egg.,

I tried to feel for an egg, I couldn't feel one, but I'm not sure if I was far enough in. I think I am going to go ahead with treatment though because I am pretty sure she is egg bound. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom