Hen has finally laid an egg!!

MiniChickenMommy

Chirping
Sep 6, 2020
Hello!
So I'm very new to chicken keeping, I got 2 roosters in June last year then rescued a hen in around October.
1 roo sadly passed away, so I just have the 1 roo and 1 hen now.
Anyways, I've been eagerly anticipating her laying her first egg, which finally happened on Easter Sunday!!
Since then however, she hasnt laid anymore and the 1 that has been laid, they have buried it in their box and its absolutely freezing!! Shes not sat on it once.
1. Why hasnt she laid another egg in almost 48 hours? I thought they were supposed to lay every 24-27 hours?
2. Why isnt she sitting on it?
3. Should I remove it and incubate it or will it be useless now that it has been so cold for almost 48 hours?
Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading 😁
EDIT: As she is a rescue, I have no idea how old she is. If anyone can tell her age from a picture, please can you tell me approx how old she is?

Last edited:
They usually lay a clutch and then try to sit, and only if they want to. Some chickens never sit. I've never hatched eggs with a broody hen.

If the egg had a chance of being frozen, it likely won't hatch if you incubate it.

And some chickens lay more often than others, in your case, this was her first time laying and she may begin to lay more often once her body gets used to it.

Okay thank you, she is a pekin bantam I believe if that will help give an indication of how often she *should* lay.
As I would quite like to hatch it, I've taken it away and put in the boiler room wrapped in a blanket. Obviously this is her, and my, first egg so I understand that it may not happen. I do not have an actual incubator yet, but I am looking to buy one.
I'm not sure if she has ever laid before as I dont know how old she is, but she doesnt sem to be 'broody'.

I've taken it away and put in the boiler room wrapped in a blanket.
Keep fertile eggs saved for incubation in a cool(60°F), dry place.
Not wrapped in a blanket.
Set pointy side down in a carton, and tip carton end to end(3-4" high) daily.
Best to incubate eggs within 7-10 days of gathering, fertility can drop after that point.

I'm not sure if she has ever laid before as I dont know how old she is, but she doesnt sem to be 'broody'.
Broody is a hormonal state, not all birds will ever go broody, and rarely when you want them to.

Back
Top Bottom