Hen has HUGE comb and waddles - pic included

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stcroixusvi, Aug 30, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Here is one of our RIR - 16 weeks old today. Have you ever seen such big waddles and comb? And her brooder mates aren't nearly as big. You can see a couple of her "sisters" in the second picture. How much longer must I wait?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Wow! That does appear "hennish". Are you waiting for her to crow?? Or are you waiting on eggs?

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I have a black australorp with comb and wattles like that, and huge long ear lobes too- mine isn't laying yet either.

4. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    My RIR (Lucy) was big like that at 15 months and now her comb is flopped over. She didn't start laying until about 20 weeks. You might see her lay sooner though. She's my best layer right now though!

5. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    My Barred Rock had a huge comb starting at about 4 weeks old, but she was my first to lay an egg too! She beat my SLW by by 3 weeks and I'm still waiting on the other SLW to lay (they'll be 24 weeks tomorrow).

6. chickeebabies

chickeebabies New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    My white Plymouth Rocks have big combs too. I was hoping they wouldn't crow. Finally, at 17 weeks I started getting eggs. I free range but have egg laying boxes in their coop. I don't know if you free range any, but I found our first eggs under the blackberry bushes in the garden. Then I found more eggs under the glider swing where it was cool and shaded. I took some eggs in the house but also put some in the egg laying boxes so they would get the idea of where I wanted them to lay. I had plastic easter eggs in their laying boxes, but I guess they weren't easily fooled. Luckily they got the message and only lay in the boxes. I think. Hope you get your eggs soon.

7. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    I hated just having to wait it out, when my Barred Rock was that old she had way bigger come and waddle than the rest i thought she was a boy for sure but then they all started laying! [​IMG] now the others are all pretty close in size to her but they are over a year old.
    i wonder why that happenes?

BEFORE 5 months AFTER 1 year 4 months
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    That is a beautiful production bred RIR pullet... see the nice rounded feathers on her rump? Right before her tail? If that was a cockeral, they'd look very pointy and sort of stringy

1 person likes this.
  9. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Thanks for sharing - it's good for us newbies to know they're not all roos!

1 person likes this.
  10. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I was pretty sure she wasn't a roo, but thought for sure she'd be an early egg layer because of her maturity. The wait is k i l l i n g me. I've had eggs in the nest boxes, and occasionally I place them in the nests, but they just hop out. I do not free range because we are in the woods, and I would hate to loose any of them. They are pets.

Thanks for posting the pictures - it's nice to see others. I ordered 5 RIR, got 6, and all are pullets. (Phew - as we have plenty of roos.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by