Hen has laid a dodgy egg!

Thenamesdaryl

Hatching
Oct 2, 2020
Hi,

First Post here so I'll give you a bit of a run down of our setup.

We have 6 bantam hens, 4 of which are silkies and 2 are pekins. We have had the chickens since June, I believe they are all roughly 6 months old.

The hen in question is one of the pekins, and has been laying eggs nicley for the last month. She did have a 3 week period of being broody, which ended up with us seperating her from the others and cooling her off. She has been laying since this fiasco.

They are all fed on layers mash, with corn and other greens as treats. I occasionally spread grit and oyster shell around for then to pick up.

They have a 25 square meter pen, which is 1/3 hardwood bark and the rest was grass... Now a bit of a mud pit with the rain.

Today during my clean up, I noticed this deformed egg in the sawdust. Luckily we have a camera in the coop so I know which hen it was.

The egg has got fluid in it that looks to be egg white.

Initially I thought it was signs of calcium deficiency, and a quick google search indicates the same thing, however I am after someone to confirm for me so I don't miss-diagnose and not treat the proper illness.

I think if it is calcium deficiency then I need to put out more oyster shell, do people tend to do this in a seperate 'feeder', scatter on the ground, add with food or something else?

Hope that is enough info

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_114000.jpg
    IMG_20201002_114000.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201002_120035.jpg
    IMG_20201002_120035.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200910_145757.jpg
    IMG_20200910_145757.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 7
It could be calcium deficiency, but could also just be a glitch. Sometimes it happens, particularly with new layers or when they come back into lay after time off. If she seems fine otherwise I would just keep an eye on her, see what the next egg looks like. Calcium should always be available in a separate feeder, so they can take what they need. Needs can vary bird to bird, and season to season. Some greens can interfere with calcium absorption (those with high oxalic acid, like spinach for one) so just mentioning for info and maybe make sure you aren't overdoing those if it persists. Not enough vitamin D can also contribute. But very possible it's just a glitch.

Back
Top Bottom