Hen hatching eggs?

Chicken Heads

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2015
Alaska
Hi I had a few questions for you experts... My hen been sitting on her eggs for approx 15 days, I light checked it and noticed it was still clear looking? Eggs Wer exposed to extreme cold... Possible eggs are dead? I'm not sure to let it go or remove them? Game hen with game rooster. Thanks
1f61e.png

Take a regular store egg and candle it and compare the two eggs. If it looks the same you got a problem. Search around on here and you should find some hatching threads. Hope it goes well!

At this point, any developing eggs should be mostly full and dark inside. You should be able to clearly see the air cell and maybe some veins too. Any that are clear, I would remove to make room for the eggs that are actually going to hatch.

Did you candle them all, just a few, or just the one?

Thanks for your input
1f44d.png
Yes I did light up all 7 of her eggs and they all look clear no dark spots... 1 look like it had an air pocket or bubble at 1 end of the egg.. Looks like air pocket maybe moving?? But not 100% sure. I thought it was about 15days in but asked my wife and she said that Mayb only about a week and a half but should I still be able to see some darkening of the egg and not clear shine through the egg?

At this point, any developing eggs should be mostly full and dark inside. You should be able to clearly see the air cell and maybe some veins too. Any that are clear, I would remove to make room for the eggs that are actually going to hatch.

Did you candle them all, just a few, or just the one?

Chicken Heads

Thanks for your input
1f44d.png
Yes I did light up all 7 of her eggs and they all look clear no dark spots... 1 look like it had an air pocket or bubble at 1 end of the egg.. Looks like air pocket maybe moving?? But not 100% sure. I thought it was about 15days in but asked my wife and she said that Mayb only about a week and a half but should I still be able to see some darkening of the egg and not clear shine through the egg?
ReplyQuote Multi

Thanks for your input
1f44d.png

At about a week and a half in, you should be seeing some veins and possibly the little dark spot where the embryo is developing (usually the dark blob will bounce and move around). You can Google "candling chicken eggs" and look at a chart to give you a day by day idea of what you should see inside a developing egg.

Back
Top Bottom