Hen Hatching eggs.

skay clark

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2016
I have a hen setting on eggs to be hatched on Oct.2 in western Colorado. I had planned to let here join the other chickens but need to know how cold these new chicks can stand even with mother available?

Hello there Skay Clark! I am glad you could join us! The temperature and chick needs for the first week of it's life is 95 degrees, the second week, 90, then 85, up until about 70 degrees, lowering the temperature 5 degrees every week. After that, they still need to be kept warm, but the mom is capable of doing all that as long as she is a good mom. I hope you enjoy BYC and have as much fun as I have had!

The chicks will do fine with momma - don't worry. If she is not in the main coop at the moment, then I agree with D/Diva that re-integration of the mother and chicks may need a little attention. All my broodies have incubated in the main coop and i have never had an issue with adults attacking chicks - mainly because the mother retains her hierarchy in the pecking order of the main flock, and of course, they are feisty. Taking a hen out of the main flock for 3 weeks can affect her hierarchy and thus potentially put chicks in jeopardy. Redsoxs have given you a good link and I am sure that it will help.

Good luck
CT

Back
Top Bottom