hen hatching first eggs

Nugget

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2007
Hi, I currently have 3 hens and a rooster in my coop. There are 3 nest boxes on the wall at waist height. My omega australorp hen (frequently beat up by the wyandotte) is incubating 2 eggs that I've candled and are viable. They are due in 2 weeks.

I have a few questions about this: Do you think she is okay to be left with the others? Do I need to make her a next box on the floor? If the chicks fall from the nest box, they won't be able to get back in it. Will a hen make a new nest on the floor? Might the alpha hen kill her chicks?

ittakes2.jpg

Opus with little Irving who after this picture laid an egg under her and left.

The other hens will continue to lay in her nest and there is no way she can keep up with or incubate all of them. Move her to a protect location with her nest.

well nuts then... thanks for your response. I'll see what I can work out! Maybe wall off a section of the coop...

You will need to move her away from the others because they will continue to lay in her nest. If your goind to move her to a different nest bow do it at night, if you do it in the day time she might not seat on them any more. Yes the alphe female might kill the chicks its according to her nature.

Back
Top Bottom