Hen have worms

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThePRfan, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I was told they may have them,but I never paid much attention.But now I am positive.Out on the can was chicken poop.I saw something noodle looking.Then I thought about the dogs having this.So now I remembered WORMS!!
    Does this mean the whole flock is infected?

I have several Local feed stores,and was curious what do I get to cure them?Is there a best brand?

Please Info me on it!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    If you see it in one, you should deworm everyone. They are probably all shedding so if you skip a few they will just reinfect the others. As far as what product to use, try to identify the worm and choose a product that will address them. I have never dewormed my chickens but if I did, I would just use an appropriate horse dewormer product as it will be cheaper, easier to find.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's unusual to actually see worms in poop, but it does happen. I like to use Valbazen, a cattle wormer, once a year because it gets all types of worms. Safeguard, prImarily a goat wormer, is also an excellent wormer.

The Valbazen dose for large fowl is 0.5 m. per bird by mouth, repeated in 10 days. It is a liquid so you must either squirt it into the side of their mouth or onto a scrap of bread or similar. Be sure each bird gets one and only one dose, of course. Repeat the rocess in 10 days because the worm eggs will have hatched b then, and the Valbazen does not kill the eggs. Egg withdrawal is 21 days.

This thread discusses using either wormer further:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/835632/ivermectin-dosing/0_20#post_12275268

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by