Hen having first egg trouble

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kiaton, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Kiaton

Kiaton Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2014
    New Mexico, USA
    I have two red sex links and one of them just started laying, and the other has been squatting and messing around in nest boxes for a while, especially within the past few days, so I figured she was close. Today, when I let them out, she came out like normal but started being extremely loud, making like an egg song noise and pacing. Finally, she went back inside the coop and I decided to leave her alone since she was probably nervous with me staring. I checked back about an hour later and saw her straining, so I left her alone again. Now I just checked and she still hasn't laid an egg, but is acting completely normal. There isn't any protrusions from her vent at all and she's been eating regularly, I gave them both yogurt and crushed egg shells. Any advice? Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she is acting normal, she probably is fine. They will go through a lot of funny behaviors when they get ready to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by