1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hen having first egg trouble

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kiaton, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Kiaton

Kiaton In the Brooder

May 2, 2014
    New Mexico, USA
    I have two red sex links and one of them just started laying, and the other has been squatting and messing around in nest boxes for a while, especially within the past few days, so I figured she was close. Today, when I let them out, she came out like normal but started being extremely loud, making like an egg song noise and pacing. Finally, she went back inside the coop and I decided to leave her alone since she was probably nervous with me staring. I checked back about an hour later and saw her straining, so I left her alone again. Now I just checked and she still hasn't laid an egg, but is acting completely normal. There isn't any protrusions from her vent at all and she's been eating regularly, I gave them both yogurt and crushed egg shells. Any advice? Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she is acting normal, she probably is fine. They will go through a lot of funny behaviors when they get ready to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: