Hen help please

Brightdays

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 20, 2013
NE Ohio
One of our Golden Comets 2yo is not well. She’s standing still in the yard in a puddle. Diarrhea and her comb looks off color. We moved her to a porch and she laid over on her side then perked up and walked away. She seems wobbly her breathing is normal and no discharges. The other hens are pecking at her. We just have a small backyard flock in NE OH.

Any suggestions? I hope it’s not contagious. We don’t have any good way to isolate a hen.

Thanks

Attachments

• 9F354A7E-B27E-4143-AE4D-3CB8E705C28B.jpeg
    9F354A7E-B27E-4143-AE4D-3CB8E705C28B.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 10
She has some mild frostbite on her comb, and possibly some nasal drainage that has attracted some dirt to stick to it. She obviously looks ill and weak. How old is she? Has she laid eggs recently? Do you have a dog crate that you can separate her in with some food and water? She needs to be separated because the others sense that she is weak, and will hurt her.

I would try to get her drinking some water, and electrolytes would be helpful. Gatorade or adding a tsp of sugar to a cup or two of water would be good. Can you offer some feed mixed with water and a bit of scrambled egg?

She has some mild frostbite on her comb, and possibly some nasal drainage that has attracted some dirt to stick to it. She obviously looks ill and weak. How old is she? Has she laid eggs recently? Do you have a dog crate that you can separate her in with some food and water? She needs to be separated because the others sense that she is weak, and will hurt her.

I would try to get her drinking some water, and electrolytes would be helpful. Gatorade or adding a tsp of sugar to a cup or two of water would be good. Can you offer some feed mixed with water and a bit of scrambled egg?
She’s around 2. I don’t know on the eggs. They have all dropped off laying this winter. We don’t have a dog crate or a garage. I don’t know where we would segregate her. We use an Omlet coop and they free range most days. I feel horrible about the frostbite. I thought they were enclosed enough with the cold we had this winter. I will see if I can get her to eat and if we can figure out a place to keep her. Thanks

Since she’s 2 years, I’d be worried about being egg bound or an egg breaking inside of her. It looks like she is having some mild nasal discharge which could mean that she’s dealing with a mild respiratory infection such as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), Infectious Coryza or Infectious Bronchitis (IBV). If she’s having trouble walking and is falling over or just wobbly in general, it could mean a vitamin deficiency.

Since she’s 2 years, I’d be worried about being egg bound or an egg breaking inside of her. It looks like she is having some mild nasal discharge which could mean that she’s dealing with a mild respiratory infection such as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), Infectious Coryza or Infectious Bronchitis (IBV). If she’s having trouble walking and is falling over or just wobbly in general, it could mean a vitamin deficiency.
Thanks. Any suggestions on things to do for that? We have vitamins I can add to her water. She was standing up sleeping in a puddle again. I put them back into a smaller fenced section. Thanks

If you can, it probably best to separate her so she doesn’t get injured or spread anything (if she has anything).

Add vitamins to her water in a separate area where she can recover and have 100% access to it.

If she happens to pass away before treatment can work, I would highly recommend getting a necropsy done on her to test her for various diseases such as Marek’s Disease, Avian Leukosis Virus (ALV), IBV, MG, Infectious Coryza and since it’s going around, Avian Influenza Virus (AI).

Back
Top Bottom