hen hyperventilating

DavisEggFarm

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
hi friends,

just received nine chickens from someone, they are all amerucanas, all seem to be very normal except for one hen, she seems to be hyperventilating..ive been checking on her but still the same. she is skiddish the other ones let you pick up this one runs. any ideas? concerned. thank you

hi friends,

just received nine chickens from someone, they are all amerucanas, all seem to be very normal except for one hen, she seems to be hyperventilating..ive been checking on her but still the same. she is skiddish the other ones let you pick up this one runs. any ideas? concerned. thank you

First, I'm hopin' you didn't introduce new birds directly into an existing flock ...

Adding Apple Cider Vinegar to the flock's water (but not in galvanized containers) at the rate of four teaspoons to the gallon does absolutely no harm to any bird, but helps in many ways. If she's been exposed to toxins, this is a treatment. The tannin in ACV reduces the mucus and coating, helping the birds to expel it from their systems, and improves the uptake of nutrients/vitamins, and boosts their immune systems. It also creates an environment hostile towards internal parasites.

I'd also dose 'em all w/ fenbendazole (a wormer), which has been proven to have no adverse affects upon chickens, even to 100 times the suggested dosage.

These two things could be done immediately, without concern of causing any harm ... see the Solutions Used for Poultry link w/in my signature for further details and dosage/concentrations.

She should be isolated, as many will suggest, but I wouldn't cause her any additional stress by chasin' her down to do it ... wait 'til tonight, after they're all settled in, and move her to an area prepared in advance, and preferably where she and the flock can see one another.

Also, review the Diagnosing Diseases Based Upon Symptoms link, also w/in my signature. It may help you to recognize symptoms previously overlooked, and help to train you to keep your eyes open for potential problems, even if it doesn't directly pinpoint this specific birds problem.

Update this thread when you can, and I'll check back from time to time throughout the day ~'-)

okay, so doing fine today. they are sitting in the corner in a group, so they at least came out of house. the one was trying to escape. im thinking maybe a prior attack from predator around area that had scard her. glad doing fine:

Back
Top Bottom