Hen in charge

artsvarc

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Eastern Iowa, USA
My pulletts are about 8 weeks old. I have one (I don't know is she's a hen or cockrel yet) that rounds the other 9 up at night and sends them to the coop. She'll go in and come back out to make sure nobody is left. Is this typical hen in charge behavior or do I have a cockerel, you think? I don't have a recent picture but I'll post one soon. I'm just curious on behavior.

.... she'll also guards the pop door.
.. I also have 3, 5week olds, separated but when one gets out, she goes after them.

My pulletts are about 8 weeks old. I have one (I don't know is she's a hen or cockrel yet) that rounds the other 9 up at night and sends them to the coop. She'll go in and come back out to make sure nobody is left. Is this typical hen in charge behavior or do I have a cockerel, you think? I don't have a recent picture but I'll post one soon. I'm just curious on behavior.

.... she'll also guards the pop door.
.. I also have 3, 5week olds, separated but when one gets out, she goes after them.
That behavior is typical of both a rooster and the leader of the flock. Some are just very aware of the members of the flock and get distressed when any of them go astray. May have to wait until you see more definite sex characteristics to know what you have!

Ok... almost 9 weeks. Is she a bossy mother hen or roo?

Attachments

• 20200607_055748.jpg
    20200607_055748.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200607_055803.jpg
    20200607_055803.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom