Hen in love with another hen........literally !!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emjay, Mar 3, 2012.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    So... a few days ago my mum noticed a hen mounting another hen, never thought anything of it.
    Now for the last several days, I myself have seen it...quite the spectacle really. I have a hen/pullet, about 10 months old, who is mating her sibling (were hatched from the same batch of eggs). I only kept two of the last batch...and they seem to be in love. The one hen has a bald spot from being mated so much !! by the other hen !!
    The two of them are in a flock of 13, including the rooster. So, not sure why the behaviour, when there is a roo in the house.
    When this hen is mounting the other hen, she does the exact same maneouvres as what a rooster would do....everything ! The only thing she doesn't do is crow.
    So...not sure what to think about this gal... she's an odd one.
    The pair of them are quite strange, the other flies in my face every chance she gets...
    The both of them are quite odd.

2. are you SURE its a hen?
    and if it is you SURE its breeding (in their mind) and not a dominince thing?

weird.. o_O

3. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    It may not be a mating ritual ... it may well just be a dominance tactic. Some of my hens like to jump on the back of another hen just to prove her place in the order of things.

Any tail wiggling is down to the same thing.

4. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    You have a dominant hen...that's all! I have a LF Buff Orpington hen who's a wannabe "roo" in my flock. One of the roosters doesn't mind her shenanigans, however, a bantam cockerel is very aware of her behavior. I have to keep him separate from the dominant hen as he'll "do a number on her" [​IMG][​IMG] if he can get to her.

5. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    she is quite dominant then...she looks like a hen..lays an egg like a hen, hahah..but, breeds the other hen like she's a rooster. She does the whole mount then tail/butt swipe thing..it's beyond awkward to watch...I always tell her...."you are not a rooster, dumb dumb"...haha...but...she doesn't listen.........hmmmm, wonder why. Perhaps they don't talk human...LOL.

But, the other hen lets her and the other hen will also flatten when I go to pet her (as she's quite friendly in a pesky way).

It's something I've never seen/heard of before. I have dominant hens who will peck and grab out neck feathers of lower ranked girls, but, never this....

and she only breeds (well in her hen way) the one hen, no others.

6. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    Wow!!! I have never seen a hen do that lol - she's gender confused [​IMG]

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I am going to guess by your spelling that you are British or Australian. Am I correct?

What breed of hens are these?

And sisters even.

8. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    That's funny! I hope the feathers grow back....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by