Hen in pain? Panting, won't move

My sincere condolences... You gave her a beautiful life, please focus on remembering her happy days, not that she is gone.

5 yrs for a production breed is an amazing life, and any life in a happy garden as your friend is incredibly lucky hen.

Focus on spoiling the others if ever grief becomes overwhelming.

So sorry for your loss of Twilight. She may have had some hard masses of internally laid egg masses in her belly. That can look like ascites and egg bound. I have learned a lot about my hen’s illnesses by doing a brief necropsy to look for a cause of death. It is not something everyone wants to do, but gives some info as to what was going on. If you would do one, take pictures of organs and post here. It is understandable if you just bury her instead.

My sincere condolences... You gave her a beautiful life, please focus on remembering her happy days, not that she is gone.

5 yrs for a production breed is an amazing life, and any life in a happy garden as your friend is incredibly lucky hen.

Focus on spoiling the others if ever grief becomes overwhelming.
Thank you so much for your kind words. :)

So sorry for your loss of Twilight. She may have had some hard masses of internally laid egg masses in her belly. That can look like ascites and egg bound. I have learned a lot about my hen’s illnesses by doing a brief necropsy to look for a cause of death. It is not something everyone wants to do, but gives some info as to what was going on. If you would do one, take pictures of organs and post here. It is understandable if you just bury her instead.
I am very tempted to do a necropsy, but I might just bury her. Then again, my mother used to love dissections in school, so it might happen if I get a scalpel.

I performed a necropsy(never done one before!) And found several lash eggs, one absolutely massive, about 2lbs. There was also blood pooling in her cavity(not from me cutting her open). Lots of interesting stuff, but I will have to post pics later since I do not have them on this device.

I think I might be getting a science credit for this. 😂 Homeschool perks.

We also got new chicks today, and they're so cute! Can't let the last two birds be alone for so long.

Attachments

• IMG_20230327_122130_016.jpg
    IMG_20230327_122130_016.jpg
    717.4 KB · Views: 1
I performed a necropsy(never done one before!) And found several lash eggs, one absolutely massive, about 2lbs. There was also blood pooling in her cavity(not from me cutting her open). Lots of interesting stuff, but I will have to post pics later since I do not have them on this device.

We also got new chicks today, and they're so cute! Can't let the last two birds be alone for so long.
My goodness ~ poor girl. ::hugs::

that was very brave of you, and it will help you better understand the care you give them.

maybe you can write a report for another school credit and post it as an article. Include her symptoms and the care you gave, the things that eased her pain. Then images of the necroscopy.

it would be good for you, but mostly it could help another hen have less suffering because you help her care taker better understand her needs.

that was very brave of you, and it will help you better understand the care you give them.

maybe you can write a report for another school credit and post it as an article. Include her symptoms and the care you gave, the things that eased her pain. Then images of the necroscopy.

it would be good for you, but mostly it could help another hen have less suffering because you help her care taker better understand her needs.
I love that idea! I don't know if I'll have the time to devote to it, but it's something I'll definitely think about and play around with.

Congratulation for doing the necropsy and getting some answers. Did you see an enormous amount of fat inside the hen, or was the liver tannish?

Back
Top Bottom