Hen injured bY a dog..

It might be a good idea to bring her inside for a few days where you can monitor her eating and drinking and pooping more closely. When you have other hens in the coop, it's hard to say which ones are eating/drinking and if one isn't. The big three for recovery are: dry, warm and clean. As long as you are meeting those basic needs her body will do the rest.

It sounds like you are doing wonderfully so far, keep up what your doing. When our duck was seriously injured in the dog attack I brought her and our hen inside and put them in wire dog crates with pine shavings on the floor. I was able to put a stick through the sides and give our hen a roosting bar. This might be an idea for yours as well. This ensured she was dry and warm (being inside) and not getting dirty in the run (more so for actual visible injuries)

Foods that are supposed to be great for any hen but especially when sick or injured are the cooked egg yolks, cooked oatmeal, yogurt and definitely the electrolyte powder added to the water to help boost immune system during times of stress. See how that goes for a few days.

When you feel her abdomen when you pick her, see if you can feel any places where it is hard or like there would be an egg there. If not then that's good too. As they recuperate, the body puts a lot of effort into recovery and not on making eggs. I have also heard of hens/ducks getting so stressed they stop laying altogether. Just be sure to check occasionally to ensure she doesn't feel like she has an egg that she isn't able to lay.

Taking her out daily can be a good thing, reassurance for her and comfort of having you hold her may be soothing. I would take a towel and place it on my lap and sit in my favorite recliner with her on my lap, snuggled in close to my side so she feels secure and just give her my body heat and comfort knowing she was indeed safe now. If it stresses yours out too much then I wouldn't but it may be worth a shot.

I know some of this has already been stated, just adding my two cents based on what we did in the past three weeks with ours.
hugs.gif

I cooked the oatmeal this morning and she really liked that ...going to give her more this afternoon just didnt want to over do it...and give her too much this is the first time in a couple days she has felt like eating..sooo...hopefully she continues..we are going to try and bring her in this afternoon and clean her up...hard to tell cause poop mats on her..so we are going to clean her up...and go from there. she stays dry ..she hasnt left her nesting area.So that is a good thing. and it has been in the upper 70s...so..think we got the warmth covered....thank you so much for your * two cents *...any help and ideas we get it greatly appreciated...thanks again..

Good News ..
smile.png
..Good News..
smile.png
...this morning for the first time in almost a month...Our hen that was attacked by a dog...actually came out of the nesting area ...!!!! She was walking...slowing in the coop area...what a nice susprise to wake up and see first thing this morning. We have been getting her out everyday and letting her walk around beside the coop but until this morning she has not gotten out of the nesting box without our help.....She seems to be favoring one foot but it is no wonder she has pretty much layed around for almost a month. Just had to keep from getting disappointed and let her heal in her own way...
smile.png

I am so happy to hear that! Another story of an amazingly resilient hen and her kind patient owners to add to the books. It's nice to hear the good news instead of the bad!
hugs.gif
wee.gif
thumbsup.gif
celebrate.gif
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif

After all of the excitement with her getting out of the nesting area...she went back into the nesting area...she is up walking around in the nesting area. soo that is still good news. We have a small ramp they walk from the coop area to the nesting area...maybe that is a little bit too much for her to deal with just yet. But she is walking around in the nesting area....soooooo patience...patience....
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom