Hen injured, Help NEEDED!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TNCave, Aug 3, 2011.

1. TNCave

TNCave New Egg

Feb 26, 2010
    My buff orpington hen was attacked by a dog at the end of last week and we thought she was okay. I finally caught her today when I noticed her fethers were dirty around her chest and found a large injury there. There is a big wound and what looks like her exposed/open crop. I can see bits of grass and grain. She has been getting around okay, and my husband and I were wondering if chickens can recover from this type of injury. If so, what can we do to aid the healing? We raise chickens mainly for eggs and tick control, but occasionally will harvest them for meat (excess roosters usually). If we need to harvest her, I want to make sure that she doesn't become so far gone that the meat is wasted. I would like to save her if it is at all practical. Thanks.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    My dog ripped open my turkey (4-inch gash through the crop), and we managed to sew it shut.

If the puncture is not sewable, then you may need to cull her. If it is too small to stitch, you can put neosporin (without the pain killer) around the wound and watch it closely. Feeding her plain yogurt will help keep bacteria down as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by