Hen is injured and limping! Help!

jayde88

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Hello,

I came out to the chicken coop and saw my 2 year old polish cross hen was limping and had lots a lot of feathers. She likes to fly over the fence and the puppy probably got out sometime when we weren't watching and injured her.
I didn't see any blood or anything. She seemed to be able to get around okay, and was able to fly up to the roost.
How can I help her?

Thanks,
Jayde88

I'd suggest confining her to a cage for a few days to let her rest and recuperate, and see if she will recover. Some nutritional boost couldn't hurt.

bird bones are hollow, and break easy, a hard landing or a puppy playing ruff can lead to a broken leg bone. Don't know if this is your problem but you might want to check the leg. if so wrap with gauze first so medical tape wont stick to leg. keep taped for 2 to 3 weeks. (have had this happen in the past and this is how i fixed her)
hope it helps

A dog got a hold of our favorite hen a couple of months ago. Luckily i got to her in time. She limped around for a couple of days and the others didn't bother her. She is fine now. Hopefully you will have the same luck.

Hello everyone,
Thanks for all your help!
She seems to still be limping, last I checked. Perhaps her leg was sprained or broken? How do I tell?
I would prefer to confine her as little as possible as she is extremely skittish and jumpy (how she probably managed to get away from the preditor!) and would probably freak out if confined for too long.

Back
Top Bottom